1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Low-end build for 'rentals advice.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shabing, 14 Jan 2012.

1. Shabing

Shabing What's a Dremel?

Easy now,

For the last couple of years my parents have been using an old computer I built about 7 or 8 years ago and have been fine with it even though it's based around an Athlon 64 3000 (they were ecstatic with it when I gave it them to be honest, prior to this they'd used a 10 year old laptop) but I think the time has come for me to sort them an upgrade out.

I'm flying out to see them in February (they live in France nowadays) and my initial plan was to get it delivered to me, build it and install windows 7, make sure it worked and then take it apart and get it delivered to them and rebuild out there but I'm a bit loathe to be fannying around removing the cooler, taking the TIM off the processor, taking out the processor, etc etc, so I'm now going to get it delivered here then just ship the box it comes here in out to their house and pray it doesn't go poof when I build it over there.

Anyway, enough rambling! I've put together this selection:

Intel Pentium G620, S 1155, Dual Core 2.60GHz, 3MB Smart Cache, 65W, Retail
    £39.62 £47.54
    430W PSU, Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-430CX, 80% Eff', Uncertified, Quiet Fan, ATX v2.3
    £30.43 £36.52
    Colors IT 2017B Black/Silver Mid Tower Value Case w/o PSU
    £12.79 £15.35
    4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, 1.50V
    £16.40 £19.68
    Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H-USB3, Intel H61, S 1155, DDR3, SATA II - 3Gb/s, PCIe (x16), D- Sub/DVI-D/HDMI, Micro ATX
    £38.61 £46.33

Total is 165.42 off of scan which is good.

I'll re-use the DVD drive (it was bought last year to replace a faulty one) and the GPU I replaced at the same time. I fortunately have a spare SATA II 3 Gb/sec 250 gig hard drive I can take out with me when I go in feb, otherwise I'd be asking for a lend from my girlfriend!

It's basically going to be used for Skype, Internet, occasional really really simple office stuff.

I thought mATX as it needs to be pretty small for where it's being placed (small cubby hole really).

If anyone can see glaring problems, or even some ideas for changes I'd appreciate it: particularly the motherboard as I can find nothing on the internet about it apart from someone on Overclockers using the wrong DIMM slots.

Cheers,

Andy

Edit/

Woops, budget: well, I'd prefer it to be as cheap as possible: I'm happy with £175, I can probably do 200 at a push but the cheaper the better tbh.

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Looks good, you might also consider AMDs range Llano. They're APu meaning they have mid range graphics built in. They're also incredibly cheap and fast compared to intels pentium range.

The llano range also has options for overclocking, to get a little extra grunt for your money. IT'd help with some of those office programs and video playing.

3. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

What's the GPU you're salvaging? Other than that, I'd go with Darkwisdom, and look at Llano or an older Phenom II to save some more money and get a bit more power since you wouldn't be using the built-in graphics.

4. Shabing

Shabing What's a Dremel?

It's a 4350 1 gig I think.

I had a quick look at llano, for the price of the g520 you can get an a4-3000: worse processor, better gpu than they have atm. At least, the benchmarks I can find for the a6 llano are equal near enough to the g520 on the CPU side, so I presume the a4 is worse. I can always spend 30 quid in a years time and get a 7450 when they come out.