Windows M4p to mp3 converter

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bumfluff101, 17 Dec 2011.

1. Bumfluff101

Bumfluff101 Minimodder

Hi, can anybody recommend a good, preferably free, m4p to mp3 converter? I have got approx 600 tracks to convert and so the old burn to a disc and re-rip method isn’t really any option. Quite a few converters appear through google but it is hard to tell what’s good and what’s crapware.

Thanks

2. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty sure VLC can do this and you might already have it installed - it is pretty common and useful for all sorts of media playback features. In the version I have you click on Media > Convert/Save which opens up a box and you can transcode between a variety of file formats, audio and video. It used to be under the File context menu.

Of course you could get a standalone tool for the job, just use google . . . Personally I hate having a bunch of single-purpose tools installed on the computer unless it's something I will be doing every single day.

3. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

Are these tracks DRM protected? If not, there are various tools that'll let you convert from .mp4 (presumably AAC, if it's audio only?) to MP3, although you should be aware that conversion between lossy formats tend to reduce the quality significantly. VLC and Foobar2000 do a good job for free, dBpoweramp is excellent but costs money. If you're using iTunes, you can convert between formats by selecting the desired codec under importing settings then selecting the tracks you want then selecting 'Create <new format> version' under the advanced menu.

All the above assumes the tracks are not DRM protected. If they are, the method you use will depend on the DRM. If they're from iTunes (and you have the details of the account they were bought with), the best option is to download the tracks again - they'll be in the new DRM free 256Kbps AAC format. If not, you've got a few options - burning to CD then importing again usually works, as you've said: you can generally use a virtual drive to speed things up and save on CDs. Otherwise, let us know what kind of DRM the tracks are using.

4. Bumfluff101

Bumfluff101 Minimodder

Thanks to both of you for your comments, I should have been clearer, the tracks do have itunes DRM protection. I did try both the VLC method (which didn't work because of the protection) and re-downloading from itunes (which it wouldnt let me do without rebuying the song). I have since found this which seems to do the job but still looking for a free alternative.

5. GrameSmith

GrameSmith What's a Dremel?

try the Total Video Converter, its great.

6. Shabing

Shabing What's a Dremel?

Foobar might do it, its definitely not crapware if you've seen it suggested.

7. buchanan0204

buchanan0204 What's a Dremel?

FormatFactory.

Will do this no problem at all. No need to do one track at a time either like VLC.

P.S. It's free!