1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Mac Cube Pro

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by avolla, 29 Jun 2010.

1. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

case restarted

Hey guys sorry for the long delay between posts. Life has been crazy with a new job and a damaged camera I didn't get much work done and got even fewer pictures. But I'm back at it and thought it was time for an update. Last time we talked I had bolted the parts of the case together and was getting ready to make it solid.

From the work that other mac modders have shown in their work logs, I decided to go with aluminum strips and a high strength epoxy. After taping the exterior side of the parts together for a little extra strength it was time to get down to work.

[​IMG]

I'm sorry I don't have pictures of the application but it was more important to get the epoxy applied and everything pressed down. For weight I decided that my weight plates would work perfectly to press everything into place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After letting it sit for 12 hours it was time to see if it worked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was quite happy with the joints. The epoxy that collected in the corners will be sanded down to give it a more professional look. Next it was time to remove the tape and see how much of a mess I was going to have on the outside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was amazed at how well the epoxy filled in the space I screwed up in the sanding process. The tape peeled right off and didn't really stick to hard. This will make sanding a lot easier once I get ready to prime and paint the case. At this point the camera went away but i repeated the procedure on the front and top of the case. The front didn't come out quite as nice as I would have liked. The problem with trying to get four pieces with holes to line up is that any little miscalculation leads to the holes not lining up 100 percent. In my case they didn't. So I still have to figure out what to do with them. In the mean time, I'm going to cut the left side ring off the case and replace it with the door side that got cut off when i did the initial work. Until next time, mod on.

Austin

2. Canardwc

Canardwc @French_fab_factorie

Hi,

Quite good idea...!!!

Update!!!! :p :p :p :p

Looking at your scratch!! :thumb:

3. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Goddammit Canard, I thought we were getting an update :(

4. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

Sorry to let you guys down. Time has been my biggest enemy on this project. I'm working the night shift and just don't have the time to work on it. As of now the project is on hold until i can find the time to give it.

A little update. I finished the work on completing the main chassis. The pieces are all together but nothing more has been done.

I may take this in a different direction but time will tell.

5. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Sorry I missed this mod but I'm sub'd now! Hope you can get back to work on it soon. I've never sceen this aproach before.

6. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

Nice! I'll follow this!

7. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

As far as I'm aware, this project is abandoned due to a measurement that was too short which didn't allow proper clearance for the motherboard. He's still a lurker though, maybe he'll post an update on it ;)

8. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

If i do anything with the case it'll be to cut it down and turn it into a small htpc. I have ideas but nothing concrete.

Tags: