1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac Mini... I'm About to buy one?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sc0rian, 12 Jan 2005.

?

Buy it?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. No

58 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. arrowswake

arrowswake What's a Dremel?

I'm gonna get one and use it as a web server. I'd really like to cut the $20 / month out of my bills, and I'd also put all my music on there. Anyone know if there's a way to remotely connect to macs from PCs?

2. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Muhahahaha! Kam's turned! :p

As for remotely connecting to a Mac from a PC, sure, it's easy. Macs can run VNC just like PCs.

PC side - http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

Mac Side - http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/

(They are just suggestions, other VNC proggies are available). I believe Microsoft also do a port of their Remote Desktop program so that you can use it between Macs & XP PCs. I've never tried it though.

3. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Apple :p

Edit: Seriously, it's an apple sff pc. What'e the big deal? Yes it is slightly attractive, but it is not worth all the attention it's getting.

Give me a via any day :D

4. calnen

calnen moo!!

Make your own mini-itx box instead if you want something small. (But chances are you only want it because it's white and made by apple, and therefore cool ;))

5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

:eyebrow:
    wtf how is £300 odd for something to distract you whilst you're installing windows a good investment
    personally i use my laptop for that, and being a laptop it doesnt have to stay hooked up and on my desk, its used at school etc

6. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I can attest to this - I use UltraVNC on my Server and ChickenOfTheVNC (No, I don't know why it's called that...) on my Powerbook to connect to it.

As for remote desktop, It's a bit of a dog. I tried it and switched to VNC as it's more responsive on my wireless network.

Oh, and I voted yes. I'm probably going to get one as well. ;)

7. relix

relix Minimodder

It's fantastic for if you want to develop cross-platform.

I'm tempted tbh ;)

8. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

really? i found VNC and tightVNC were slower over 100mbit than RD
    + i dont have to install anything for RD :)

9. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

its not that. its just that apple have put form over function.

10. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

Sc0rian, you are an utter fop :D

The End

11. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

ooo, 28 vs 28 right now,
    Apple may put form over function, but not too far above from my (admitadly not massive) experience. And it's such a pretty form :)
    ok, ok, so I was trying to think of uses for it to justify it to myself, and I couldn't think of anything *I* would use it for, (and I just spent £330 on fixing my car :( *grumble*). But I'm sure it'll be useful for some people, and the price isn't absolutly crazy...

12. bennifer

bennifer What's a Dremel?

13. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

200USD is a fanless eden with lotsa neato stuff (like LVDS controller or mpeg hardware mabye dual LAN, not to mention seperate TVOU).

the mac thing isn't fanless is it?
    whats the power rating (the store site just gave me a pretty picture saying mighty mini, not very technical specified that.) But i doubt it would be less than the eden platform.

Myself i really don't get whats specail about it, yes its very small, but its a little overpriced for my liking (you could get a much more powerful itx factor machine in taky case for a hundread or so less based on x86 set). which would actually talk to most coperate networks too!

14. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

I would buy one, but linux on it (unless osx is as not-un-leet as I've heard) and use it as a server

I kinda agree with the post above me, but $200usd doesn't include case, hdd, or an optical drive.. also, have you seen benchmarks from mini itx boards? the performance kinda really sucks, but if amd fans are right, 64-bit is the way to go, so the g5 must be good ;)

and anyway, I could always put linux on it :D

15. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

it seems that the top lid acts as a giant heatsink for the processor/components.
    Thats pretty tight. :D
    I would go ahead and buy it, i would be interested to see what you could do with it

16. relix

relix Minimodder

Mini-itx cases have been using a cooling method like that for years, so it's nothing new. ;)

17. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

so "as leet" basically? :p

<A88>

Last edited: 15 Jan 2005
  18. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Because in some ways, it would be easier. You're rendering something awful. You sit there, not even able to play some tunes because you don't want to waste your cpu. (now, now is when I reach over and hit "Play" on my iPod docked with my inMotion, but there's another Apple product). You hit the KVM switch, and poof -- a Mac interface pops up. You sign into <insert messaging protocol>, open up iTunes (which I'm not a fan of, but it works better on Mac's than PC's), and click on Firefox in your dock ( :p ).

There ya go, you have a system again. And, you don't have to go downstairs and grab your bag from your car, haul the lappy and AC adapter back with you, plug in power/LAN, and find room for it on your desk. You have a full keyboard/mouse, your nice monitor, and everything is already hooked up. The best part? It takes up as much room as my plushie Tux ( ;) ).

Sure, it's Mac, and "we all take out our torches and get ready to flame" at the mention of Mac, but I use my wife's iBook sometimes, and overall it's quite nice. Sure there are some flaws, but take a look at Windows...It's just that we've taken the time to learn how to bend Windows inside-out and fix all it's little querks.

So, my final vote is that it would be quite nice, but it's overpriced. And masked with the "Mac" label, which isn't all bad...just, with that label you get the hordes of raving Mac-heads. Plus, you probably aren't actually gonna get your hands on the system for another month and a half, as it doesn't seem Apple plans on actually shipping these things any time soon...

19. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

My thoughts:
    My first thought was: Great!
    But looking into it.. its basically an ibook, but with no screen, battery or screen.

One thing I see that is very bad about it, as that you only have 1 ram slot. The iBook has only one aswell, but the stock 256mb is soldered to the mainboard. Here its already occupeing the 1 ram slot.

Offcours 256mb isn't enough if you are planning on doing anything other then send an email. OS X is very ram-requiering aswell.

With the iBook you can get 512mb upgrade for a 180€ (education price in belgium). Wich is a acceptable deal. Then u get 768mb in total, wich is plenty for basic stuff.

But with the mini mac, u can get 512mb, instead of the 256, reasonable cheap. But if you want more, u have to get 1Gig, and thats unreasonable expensive.

So I think, only having those options, I wouldn't get one.

They should have gave the mini mac 2 ram slots.
    Plus, I think its rather slow. A G4 1,25ghz, isnt exactly stunning, its the slowest processor they sell. For the newest machine, this is pretty lame.

They should have puttin in a slow G5, or at least a faster G4.

It seems they are trying to sell out their stock of G4 hardware, lol.

But hey, what do I know.

I'm about to buy an iBook 12". With these specs then
    1,2ghz G4
    768mb ram
    60gb hd
    bluetooth
    airport extreme

L

20. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

wtf, last time i looked winamp uses such a minimal amount of cpu it doesnt even register on task manager (goes to 1% usage every 20 seconds or so) that is in no way going to affect your render times. if your system cant handle a bit of multi-tasking then i think you should look at spending that £340 on some upgrades :p
    if you have your rendering app set up to below normal priority you wont have any problems browsing/im/music playing and rendering and it might make your render take a minute or 2 longer, certainly not worth spending £340 for
    might as well sell your system and get a duallie :D
    laptop is in my bag on the floor next to me and i only ever get it out at home when im reinstalling windows, which is hardly ever ;)