1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Mac mini Q

Discussion in 'Software' started by Samurai75007, 8 Feb 2006.

1. Samurai75007

Samurai75007 What's a Dremel?

Well then I have a few questions for you mac people, it’s about the mac mini to. So I was thinking about having a small server for music and such and I love the new macs. Anyway back to the problem. On the mac mini I see that they use laptop hard drives. So you should be able to plug any one into it but would there be a way to plug say 2 to 4 more hard drives in and have them work. Note that the mini is not going to stay in its original case but be put into something else.

Thanks

Last edited: 9 Feb 2006
  2. seebul

seebul Minimodder

yeh i remember a guy did it with his, he mounted his mac mini in another case and added extra hard drives and everything, cant remember where i saw it now, might of even been on here...........

3. Samurai75007

Well I have been looking around and cant find the mod you speak of but I have found that the mac mini's use a IDE hard drive and many people have used 3.5'' hard drives but need to use another power source so they seem to need another source of power for there drive mod's. But I haven’t seen more then one hard drive used yet. You should be able to use two hard drives on an IDE cable with laptop hard drive converters and then make a "y" converter for the power to another hard drive.

4. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

You could just leave it in the original case and stick a large external firewire drive on it. That's what I did. All my music is on the original 80Gb drive in the mini, streaming to my PowerBooks and Roku player on my stereo. I've also got a BigAssLacieDrive(tm) connected via FW which I use for my video editing. The Lacie is faster over FW than the 2.5" HD in the Box! ;)

5. Samurai75007

where's the fun in moddig if you "just leave it"...

6. ajack

ajack rox

Sometimes function takes precedence over form.

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I dont think the mac mini needs modding into a big case, you might aswell buy a shuttle/miniITX if your going to do that!

8. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

This might help. I know it makes the mini bigger, but at least it fits with the looks.

Tags: