1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mac OSX on a PC?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 8 Feb 2005.

1. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

dont think its ever going to happen for reasons stated above
    but if it does and there are 3 choices for x86 (linux, windows and OSX) i cant see any situation where i'd use OSX
    if i wanted gaming thats OSX and linux out the window
    if i didnt want gaming i'd use linux
    i cant see a situation where'd i'd want OSX...

i dont like osx anyway, all the bouncing icons and pretty colours hurt my brain :worried:

2. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

I'd use it if they organised OSX to be usable for me (which it certainly isn't right now)

But they won't - they canned other people building macs due to competition and their os licences would never give them enough money to do it.
    Dream on (which for some people is actually a nightmare ;))

3. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

OSX Stable? Huh!

I worked in a company where they used OSX, and I can assure you it crashes, just like any other OS.
    Also, you might rember they delayed release due to numerous problems.
    I read somewhere that XP has 2 million known bugs.

4. Uber_K

Uber_K What's a Dremel?

I was not a big fan of MacOS in the past years, and I never wanted to try it out because of its lack of support in the gaming world. As soon as Mac OSX came out, I found out that it is built over a UNIX based OS, and offers almost all of the features. Needless to say, I was happy as hell. The visual effects are amazing, and it's rock solid. Following it's huge success in the OS market, more and more game companies began developing games for Mac as well, and many Linux games will run because of it's *NIX kernal. PowerPC processors have always been faster and more powerful than x86 procesors, but because of a huge difference in how they handle data at the most basic level, you could not use them in standard "PC" computers. The bottom line is, Mac OSX is an amazing achievement in the computer world, and it offers all the stability, ease of use, user friendliness, and security that Gates and his hard working (they may be misguided, but no one can ever accuse them of not working hard for their money) code monkeys have promising and trying to provide for years. Three cheers to Mr. Jobs and his hard earned moment of glory. Maybe now, with Linux and OSX pushing into the Windows market, we will begin to see some competition between OS's.

5. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

You can get a "developer" version of OSX for the PC. It's called Darwin, and is available from Apple. It's open source IIRC.

I've never used it myself (though have DL'd it), but I think if a retail version of OSX for PC was released, it would probably get a market for people that want an easy to use (for a noob) Unix based OS.

6. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

/looks at hamish's av..your right they do hurt my brain :thumb:

Any OS can crash...but I feel its much more stable vs windows because of how they do their drivers...

btw Im still on xp because I cant game all that well with the mac...

7. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

In regard to making money:
    it could be a good move for them. Apple still considers themselves to be a hardware company. They want to sell hardware. If they thought that this move might allow them to sell more hardware, they might do it.

By itself, that doesn't seem to make sense, but, ...

let's say that your computer illiterate mom who loves her ipod can choose between a dell running xp or a dell running osX - and she chooses osX because of her exposure to apple through marketing and her ipod. If it goes wrong, she could always install XP on it.

Here's an OS that she could actually learn to use. Maybe for next box, she would buy an apple branded box because she was so happy with this one....

Or - here's an even better scenario - your mom hates her windows box that's always crashing - every time you go over to her house you spend 1/2 an hour removing spyware and dealing with her other problems. (this is my life.) Finally, she decides that $130 isn't too much to pay to try out the other side - and she loves it. Then, her NEXT box might be apple branded hardware. Even cheaper for people thinking about 'switching' to try it out than the mac mini before converting completly.

Maybe...
    Other than that possibility, it doesn't seem to make sense for apple.
    Might be a win for them - who knows.

8. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Followed by Steve Jobs slating PC architecture, and setting up a load of benchmarks that "prove" that the PowerPC is better. Sell a few more Macs to the idiots (See Mac Moron reference), and everyone forgets about OSX on the PC.

/Publicity Stunt :hehe:

9. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

You know...

If there is a port of OSX avalible on pc (darwin), I'm sure Apple has already run their benchmarks on both the powerpc and x86 archs. Wouldn't they be using this as a marketing ploy if it came out in their favor?

:D :D

10. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

It would seem that if they did come out in their favour they would harp on about it, however even with the same os running on 2 different platforms I still don’t think a cross platform benchmark could easily and reliably be established.

11. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I'd actually be interested to see the benchmarks tbh.

Forget Mac OSX, just run linux on both machines and run benchmarks there ;) Though there are certanly differences in the way the os would be coded for the different platforms, it would be as close as you could get tbh.

12. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

If MacOS X turned out to be just as fast on the PC there would be no reason to spend hundreds of pounds on expensive apple hardware. Keeping their operating system on the powerpc is one of the one ways they are selling their hardware. If x86 suddently had the option of MacOS X then nobody would see the point in paying over the top prices for apple hardware if they could run the software on their exisiting pc at the same speed.

Tags: Add Tags