1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MacBook Memory Upgrade

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ToMMo, 10 Feb 2008.

1. ToMMo

ToMMo What's a Dremel?

Hey guy's, had a search through the forums and found a few posts regarding macbook mem upgrades but I just wanted to quickly run a few things past you to confirm.

I opened her up and I've got 2x512 sticks atm so was thinking of getting 2x1gb (or do you think it's worth getting 4gb)? I can't say I often do large photoshop or film/music editing on it however I've not had it long so there's still the chance I may.

I've found:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-112-CR&groupid=701&catid=930&subcat=932
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=548349
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=462693

What's your opinions on those?
    Can I buy any 200pin DDR2 SODIMM module?
    I also noticed in system profiler that the CPU is 800mhz FSB, is it possible to get 6400 compatible memory?

Sorry for the disjointed, disorganised questions but my excuse is I'm a little under the weather atm so I thought I'd cheer myself with spending some money. Thanks

ToMMo

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I picked up this for my MBP. Of course Newegg is only for this side of the pond, but for the price it hardly make sense to only get 2GB. Pretty much any DDR2/667 modules should work, but reading some reviews at the site first to see if people have had problems with Apple laptops is quite advisable.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-143-CS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=936 for example should work fine.

As for DDR2/800, I don't think the chipsets support that speed. I'm sure it'll accept that kind of memory, but you won't get any benefits out of it.

3. koola

koola Minimodder

Stick with PC5300 (667MHz) ram and you should be fine. 2GB is ample for general usage and runs everything nicely. Anything over is general preference but unless you photoshop, do any media editing (which you don't often) it's not really needed tbh.

4. Dizman

Dizman What's a Dremel?

Depending on your macbook, it might not be able to handle 4 gigs. I'm not sure what the cut off is, and I might be wrong, but I want to say that only a core 2 duo macbook can actually use 4 gigs and the first ones could only handle 3 gigs.

5. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

I've got a reasonably new Black MacBook and I upgraded it to 3Gb (1x2Gb + 1x1Gb) of PC5300. Picked it up from play.com during the sale for less than £40 total or there abouts.

6. ToMMo

ToMMo What's a Dremel?

7. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

yeah, i just upgraded my Mac yesterday from 1Gb to 4GB even tho the OS can only see 3GB+.

my Core 2 Mac can support 4GB hardware wise, i quite sure it's the 32bit Mac OS X i have in there that is limiting it. Did not bootcamp with a 64bit Windows to confirm.

i bought 2 x 2GB Kingston DDR2 SO-DIMM 667MHz for US$87

I used 2 identical DIMMs in size, model and brand to avoid compatibility issues.

so cheap for 4 GB.

8. Firehed

It's based on the chipset - if you don't have the Santa Rosa chipset (or newer) then it has the same limitations of Windows. I've got a C2D MBP and it sees all 4GB. Leopard is a fully 64-bit OS, just like XP/Vista64, except without the god-awful driver support and software issues.

9. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

It's an older C2D mac. I still haven't got Leopard :waah:

Installed 4Gb with the aim of running Leopard in a month or two.

How's your experience with Leopard + 4GB so far?

10. ToMMo

ToMMo What's a Dremel?

got it, installed it, running like a dream in leopard, vista and ubuntu *happy* :)

11. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Upgrading the RAM in a macbook has got to be the easiest Memory upgrade I've ever done! Beats the Dells at work where you have to remove the keyboard!

12. Firehed

Pretty good overall. I wouldn't say there's a ton of improvement with day-to-day stuff over my previous 2GB, but it really depends what I'm doing at the time. Then again, a lot of time I'll just leave Photoshop and Lightroom open in the background without worrying about the resources they suck down while I'm up to whatever other tasks. They definitely made some necessary improvements in the latest 10.5.2.