1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple MacBook Pro 13" Erratic Track Pad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JimmyTheTrumpet, 16 Jul 2012.

1. JimmyTheTrumpet

JimmyTheTrumpet What's a Dremel?

The trackpad on my 13" Macbook Pro has started acting erratically the last couple of days. It is moving around the screen, clicking and scrolling all of its own accord.

The symptoms go away if I disable the trackpad and plug in an external mouse, so I have a feeling it is the upper casing that needs replacing. I have tried cleaning it, resetting all the options in system preferences, trashing the appropriate plists, resetting the SMC and PRAM and leaving the battery unplugged for a while to no avail.

Has anyone had this and sorted it before? I have a feeling I might have to make a lengthy round trip to an Apple Store in the next few weeks at the moment which is really bad timing as I really need the laptop to get some work done at the moment...

James

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'd just plug the mouse in for the short term and then get them to take a look at the Apple store to be honest. You'll likely find that they just replace the trackpad assembly.

Could try this.

3. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

Looks like you've already tried everything, to be honest. Sounds like a road-trip then!

4. JimmyTheTrumpet

JimmyTheTrumpet What's a Dremel?

I suppose it was a long shot; I had already resigned myself to the fact I'm going to have to take it in to an Apple "Guru"... Better swap out the hard drive first, I don't trust anyone with my data but myself, and even then that's probably dangerous lol!

5. rollo

rollo Modder

take it to apple they will probably just give you a new laptop than bother fixing it there and then