1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Macbook Wireless

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Edge102030, 2 Jun 2010.

1. Edge102030

Edge102030 Son, i am disappoint.

Ok i've had this issue on and off since i got this macbook(latest model late 09/early 10) and on the macbook it replaced (early '09).

The computer most of the time will connect to my WPA2 encrypted wi-fi network. Sometimes however (quite frequent) it'll either refuse to connect (timeout error) or have wild pings with response times ranging from 1.000-26000.000ms.

I've searched around the web alot over this time (starting august last year) and i just can't seem to find a resolution to the problem. Previously last year the network didn't broadcast its SSID, but it has to for my macbook to connect.

Any ideas fellow bit-techers?

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it isn't the router since i'm on my third different router since i got the original macbook.

2. Tom @ CCL

Tom @ CCL AKA: Yewen

Don't suppose you have any cordless phones near your router?

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Change the channel the wireless is on. Someone nearby might be using the same channel.

4. Edge102030

@ Tom, No cordless phones in the house at all. But maybe next door.

@saspro, i'll try that but the problem doesn't seem to be that since we have a few other wireless devices in the house which connect fine.

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

My macbook is more fussy than my other PC's when it comes to wireless.
    Have you tried WPA (v1) instead?

6. Edge102030

No, will try that too - still having issues.

7. Tom @ CCL

Tom @ CCL AKA: Yewen

Have you tried another WiFi adapter?

May be worth trying a USB one to see if that throws up the same issues.

My MBP has been the least fussy of all my wireless devices, set it to connect to my DGN3500 and have not looked back since with near perfect signal all over my house combined with 0 dropouts so far.

8. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Maybe you've got an issue with your macbook?

I say that as I've got a 13" macbook pro and a 13" macbook of the same generation as yours, and here at home they are both 100% rock solid at talking every type of wifi going. Certainly the most reliable wi-fi gear I've ever used. I've got Netgear & Thomson wi-fi routers here at home - no problems, and both macs have connected to everything they've encountered and out about (From hotspots to cable boxes)

They're sensitive too, able to pick up weaker signals than my older gear (inc my iphone). Seems to be these days that no matter where I am my pro can pick up a BT FON signal from every Tom Dick or Harry going.

Any chance you can try someone else's mac to test it out?

Also, how many hotspots do your macs see? Maybe you've got a case of the Steve Jobs and your local airwaves are swamped?

From where I am here in my office at home, I can see my network and another nine - and as I've said I don't have problems. I have fixed my network on a channel, but that was only so I could bridge the two routers.

9. Edge102030

Well it would seem strange to have two different generations of a macbook have the same issue with wireless, but that is a possibility.

It could also be a case of the steve jobs but both my iPod touch and two computers (one laptop and one desktop) are pretty much rock solid with connection to the router.

[​IMG]