1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Mafia

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JasE, 9 Oct 2002.

1. JasE

JasE What's a Dremel?

Anyone played this? I've had it for a few days but not played it due to broken computer!!

Waiting to play it!!!! :p

2. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Yes, its a very cool game!! One of the best is not the best game ive played all year.

Its a bit hard tho ;)

3. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

i wasn't impressed that the defalt controls were the arrow keys :grr:

4. nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13 What's a Dremel?

great game

i finished the whole single player, and now i'm playing thru the free ride extreme

5. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Its well worth the effort, the ending was a bit short and was sort of expected. Its like a better version of gta3.

6. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

I like it alot. Only on the alcohol mission right now though. Still have a weeeeeee bit to go in the game. But I just got the HL Platinum Pack so I'm pre-occupied at the monument. :D:D:D:D:D

7. nekrosoft13

thats so true

GTA3 was a big disapointment, GTA3 has no AI!!!

8. djgizmo

djgizmo 1337 pimp

Gta3 is so unrealistic... you shot a cop in a dark alley and you get pigs after you... even if nobody saw it... you shoot another 2 and you got helicopters which are simply impossible to shake off... and every pig in the city and they just keep coming endlessly... In mafia the pigs come if they see you're armed... or if you speed... you can get ticketed... you CAN outrun them... you can shoot them and loose the trail that way... you can use the trams a´nd trains realistically... you CAN stop the trams by shooting the driver... if a car disappears from your sight for just one second... it'll still be there and not replaced by a random one... you can shoot people through their car windows... and they can shoot you... you CAN do driveby's but more realistically and you CAN aim the gun...
    it takes some time before all the pigs in the city come after you and eventually they stop looking for you... simply painting the car won't do it... Gta 3 has no plot... ok so it does have one, but not anything even close to Mafia's plot. Gta3 was more mass produced murder than quality. in mafia you get to go inside the buildings (note the stunning level of detail in for example"the whore" or the bankjob) and missions where you get to drive to the country are just plain old sweet. yes mafia is a bit on the hard side but you just have to use your brain.:eeek: Gta3 wasn't that easy either if i remember correctly. remeber the Kappa Coffee House one "expresso-2-go"? never forget that the Colt 1911 owns all guns... respect it and pheer it and you'll get through like nothing.

9. nekrosoft13

very good post

mafia is allot better then gta

10. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

Now I'm planning on gettin GTA3 just b/c I don't have it and want to play it. Are you trying to tell me it's not worth buying, or that it's good for the entertainment and the way it plays , not for the realistic aspect??

11. nekrosoft13

quality wise mafia is allot better

gta3 is like a cheap ps2 port on pc

thank god i never bought the game, but i did play it for 2 days, and it got sick very fast

just read djgizmo post he pointed allot off gta3 problems

i also wanna add that there is no AI in that game

cops are morons

its very stupid, i shot some people with uzi, and then the ambulance is driving to "save" them, but on the way they crash into other cars, run over other pedestrians.

on the air port i stolled a taxi, and i raced a plane, and the car was faster then the plane :eeek:

or i was driving and i saw a cool car, turn in to side street, i went after it, and it disapeared :miffed: other point lets say you pass by a car, and then you do 180 degrees turn, and the car that you just passed are gone.

gta3 is crap

12. djgizmo

djgizmo 1337 pimp

yeah the police see you kill someone and then they kill ten people while they're hunting you... LOL
    not it's really a pretty damn good game despite its flaws... just that after playing mafia, GTA3 just doesn't have that "Whoa! i can drive anywhere in this huge city and i can do whatever i want" impression anymore because you can do all those things in mafia too and mafia has better graphics, better ai, it's much more realistic in every way and the plot is better too... if you haven't played Mafia then you'll probably love Gta3. I did but now that i've played them both through, i just uninstalled Gta3 cause if i wanna just drive around and shoot people i'd rather do it in mafia and i ain't about to play Gta3 through again for the plot! that's for damn sure.

13. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

I got ya. I was gonna get GTA3 b/c a few guys here at work and some friends told me it was pretty good. I've got Mafia and love it b/c it is very realistic and immersive. But from what your saying bout GTA3 I would probably like it to b/c I can get into games like that b/c they aren't totally realistic. I play them for the sheer fun factor fo being able to do stupid stuff. :D:D:D:D:D

14. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Got mafia the other day :D a very good game IMHO! And the extreme free ride mode makes it worth completing!

Initially I was disappointed with the cars performance, they 'felt' too slow, indeed to get a decent head of speed you'd need to be coming down the bridge, but after a while I got used to it and the cars handling means any faster would be pretty much unusable (its realism I suppose....1930s cars). But then I had to steal the racing car :D omg that was fun...blasting through the city at insane speeds in the darkness, leaving the cops for dust.....

Top game, way better than GTA3! And it runs a lot better as well, unlike the slow nature of GTA3. 1024x768 with 2x FSAA = smooth as silk....wish the same could be said for GTA3.

:)

15. djgizmo

djgizmo 1337 pimp

i run mafia at 1600'1200 on my radeon 8500le and it ain't smooth as silk but it's plenty good enough for me... the great thing about mafia is that you can shoot people through the car window... i just love walking up to a gangster car and blasting the *******s in the face through the window with a sawed off... and it feels so much better to tommy gun the grill of the cop car and blow it up then having to paint your car like in gta3... it's actually quite realistic when you blow the car up.... the pigs burned corpses are hanging out the window and the tires of the car go flying off... the water effects in mafia are also cool... drive over a fire hydrant... oh it's so sweet... i've only had Mafia freeze up on me once and the only common bug i can think of is the sawed off shotgun bug in freeride... it's actually much better than my high expectations for it...

Last edited: 30 Nov 2002
  16. j`w0n

j`w0n What's a Dremel?

All these posts are making me want to get Mafia...I think I will.

I beat GTA3 about three or four months ago and I'm still playing it and goofing around. The only thing I don't like is the quality of polygon placement and people model faces. I think it's a great game except for that the AI is so dumb and there arent many characters, so you see six of the same type of person in two blocks. Is it like that in Mafia or are there many character models?

17. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

There are tons of characters in Mafia. They may have only made a few models, but you can't tell it. The people all look different, and even if you run into a similar modeled pedestrian, you wont notice it. I HIGHLY reccommend Mafia.

Tags: