1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Magic Switching box!! Diagram included!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Huxen5, 30 Jul 2008.

1. Huxen5

Huxen5 What's a Dremel?

Hi All, I intend to hook my PS3 and PC up to a new monitor (Benq FP241W) and some 5.1 speakers (Logitech X-540) but I need some sort of magic box to switch between sources as I want to share the monitor and speakers between the PC and PS3, I have tried to find switches that will do both but haven't had any luck. I'd be willing to use two I suppose, if it can't be done with one. I got stressed and so I drew a diagram. Does any one know where I can find this magic box of dreams?
    [​IMG]

2. Moriarty

Moriarty Evil Genius

Hold on to it tight when/if you do find it, I may want to pinch it :D

3. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

you might have a bit of trouble finding an all in 1 solution. does the speaker set have more than 1 type of input? then you could leave the audio always plugged in, for the computer + PS3 switch, just get an two input HDMI switcher and a dvi to hdmi adaptor, or 2.

4. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

I think some rather high end home theater receivers can do that. IIRC, it would need to support HDMI repeater operation to decode the audio stream, and you need to make sure it's 1080p capable too. For the PC, you would use a DVI to HDMI cable (pretty cheap from places like monoprice). The optical from the PS3 might be redundant in this case, but I think it would work. I don't know if you can get one with line level out for the speakers to go to the 5.1 setup, and because HDCP is likely to be present in the HDMI link from the PS3, you may not be able to get digital output from the receiver to run your speakers.

5. Huxen5

Huxen5 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the advice, then I guess instead of the X-540 speakers (I don't own them yet) I'll look for something with multiple inputs, and get a DVI to HDMI convertor and a normal HDMI switch, i'm sure I read that the PS3 can use HDMI and optical out at the same time so I don't think that'll be a problem. If anyone can recommend some speakers like this then i'd be extremely pleased.