Major Computer Boot Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoJo2201, 1 Feb 2006.

1. JoJo2201

JoJo2201 What's a Dremel?

So, about a month and a half ago i got a new WD HD, 80 gig, nothing fancy, i went to re install windows and after all was said and done it booted up just fine, except when i tried to install the Nvidia Ethernet drivers it restarted the computer, and when it got past POST it just sat there, at black. I played for hours and eventually got it to work by dumb luck.

Fast foward to now, i tried re installing windows, and the same thing happens, i cannot figure out why it does this, cause each time i have to completly reinstall windows cause other wise it wont boot. Ive tired everythng from clearing the CMOS to trying and play with things in the BIOS (i know what im doing, im not changing random settings).

My system is the following:

Sempron 64 2600
    512 DDR333 Rosewill
    MSI K8N Neo Platnium
    WD 80 gig HD
    NEC DVD 16x burner
    350 watt generic Power Supply
    Win XP pro w/SP2

I am using an old PCI ethernet card for now, but im afraid to install audio and video drivers because i dont want to have to reformat again (which ive done 3 times today), and id still like to be able to install my drivers with out fear of losing windows again.

Does any one have any idea what the problem might be?

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Are you also installing the NVIDIA IDE driver or Network Access Manager at the same time? That causes a lot of problems.

3. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Yeah, the IDE drivers are pure evil, make sure there are not installed :thumb:

4. JoJo2201

JoJo2201 What's a Dremel?

no, i am not trying to install anything other then the Ethernet drivers, but theres another problem, no matter which version i try to isnstall, all the way back to like the 3.xx ones, it says "Installing driver componenents" and then says finished instantly, and after i reboot still no dice, there is no on board ethernet still, ive tried with a fresh install of windows (again) and it does it no matter what i do.

So now its not f***ing up my comp but simply wont install, i can install audio and graphics drivers just fine (i said what the hell and did it), but i cant use this PCI ethernet card because when connected to the internet my whole computer lags (even with fresh windows) and pages take ages to load and when i scroll it like does it REALLY slow. I spent all day yesterday trying to figure out what was wrong and im still lost for answers/solutions.

5. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

I have the same board (although it just died on me last week). A couple of my freinds also has that MB and both of them had problems with the on-board NIC dying on them. On was more or less DOA and the other died after heavy use. I don't know whether this is the same problem but I do know that both machines run just fine with PCI NIC's in them. So just so that you know the on-board NIC on that MB is not the best in the world!!

I would maybe try to completly disable the on-board NIC in the BIOS (if possible don't remember) and run it with the PCI NIC. I don't know what could be causing the slowdown with the PCI NIC... resource conficts??

Myself I have never had any probs with the on-board NIC, my MB just all of a sudden gave up the ghost and would not boot at all.