1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major system startup probs - any help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by El_JimBob, 2 Mar 2004.

1. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

My friend has given me his computer to fix - the specs are as follows:

AthlonXP 1700+ on Gigabyte GA-7VTXE+ w/ 768mb generic ddr
    GeforceFX 5200 (128mb), Creative Audigy, USB2 card
    Maxtor 60gb, Seagate 80gb, DVD and CD-RW drives
    300w PSU

He recently started experiencing random reboots (using winxp pro). His machine would randomly restart and then be fine again. About a week ago, its started to behave more erratically, not even getting far enough to boot from the disks before it reset itself again. As a precaution, I formatted his boot disk (via my own machine) and ran memtest and memdiag on the system - one stick failed and was removed but the problem remained. I used a stick of my own good Crucial ram, bit this had no effect. I cant even attempt to reinstall windows as the machine usually resets before it reaches any boot drives -
    the main points it resets at are: during the graphics card BIOS screen, during the main BIOS screen and even whilst inside the BIOS utility.
    The board even beeped today (more like a 3 note tune than just random beeps) but the Gigabyte site has no info on this.
    Machine is well ventilated, and ive ruled out a shorted reset switch. Hard disks both pass full OnTrack diagnostics, too.
    The machine is stuck in a resetting loop and ive no idea what to do now.
    Can anyone offer any advice?

2. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

When my POS GA-7VR plays up i reset the CMOS via 3 pins near the battery, sorts it all out, try that also check the HSF is seated correctly, check the temps in the hardware monitor and post em here.

'doc

3. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

Thanx - ill check those tomorrow and get back to you.
    Earlier on, it actually got to the point where it started to install windows, then as soon as the installation GUI came up it reset.
    I also noted that the 3 note beep i heard coincided with the main BIOS screen when the ram is being counted. The stick in there at the moment is a known good one from my own board though.