1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Making water block

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mattthegamer463, 5 Sep 2005.

1. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

im starting a project to make a water cooling test rig, being as ive never water cooled anything. i was wondering, instead of milling a piece of copper, which would be insanely hard for me to do, could i just take the heatsink thats on the processor already, take the fan off, and put some plexi around it? im not sure if that would work for corrosion issues, etc. can someone tell me if that would work? maybe i should take a heatsink and put it in water for a few days, see what happens... if there is a corrosion problem, could i use some sort of other liquid?

thanks for the help!

2. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I think making a plexi box might lead to some issues with being watertight. You would need to use a blowtorch to melt it together, then find a secure way of sealing it to the waterblock. However, if you bought some thin copper plate and soldered it around the heatsink to form a box, it might work.

3. wajt

wajt What's a Dremel?

doesnt jb weld make a marine adhesive

4. mattthegamer463

i could get some copper and solder it around the heatsink, all i need to do is remove the heatsink from the processor. its a AMD K6-2 400, and when i tried to remove it before it wouldnt come off. i think its permantly epoxied on. does anyone know how to get them off without damaging the processor?

5. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I think a solid plastic to plastic bond can be had, I'm concerned about plastic to copper. Does JB weld work on that? I have never used it.

6. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

Put a credit card on the processor and put a flat-head screw driver between the sink and the card. Then twist. The card will take the blunt and keep the processor safe while it pops the CPU off the sink.

You can use this will all kinds of sinks, ramsinks too, but with them you want to be careful of weak solder joints. Tearing off a piece of ram is NOT good. :D

Edit: Cheap diagram.

|||||||||||||||
    --------------- Heatsink
    ..................== Screwdriver
    ============ Credit Card
    PPPPPPPPPPPPPP Processor

7. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

ive had a amd k6-2 run fine w/ just passive cooliing, used to could run the old 486's w/o heatsinks at all, slap a big heatsink on it,, and save that wc for a real compuer

8. mattthegamer463

well, the reason im doing this is to work the bugs out of a water cooling rig, i dont have the testicular fortitude to try wcing my good computer. this is mearly a testbed/tinkering computer.

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

making a waterblock from a normal heatsink works (have seen it done with a swiftech MCX462, he just used and epoxy for the plexi-copper bond) but it gives terrible performance. heatsinks are optimised for air cooling for obvious reasons and when modified just dont come near a waterblock

you wouldnt take the top off of a waterblock and put a fan on it would you? ;)

10. mattthegamer463

touché, ill have to make my own block then. ill just go to a hardware store and buy a copper chunk, then drill a bunch of holes in it, then put plexi over it or something.

11. mattthegamer463

im wondering, scince i dont have access to a milling machine, whats the easyest way to make a waterblock? this guide simply drills a bunch of holes in one part and then hollows out part of another and sticks them together. i need the simplest way to make one, with only a drill press, as a major tool. does anyone have any blueprints/suggestions?

12. zackbass

zackbass What's a Dremel?

One old popular way of making waterblocks with a drill press was to drill holes into something like a 1/2"x2"x3" copper block both widthwise and lengthwise so they intersect internally and then cap the ends of all the holes. Drill and tap the inlet and outlet on the top of the block and you're done.

13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

If you can make a watertight seal around a heatsink, it'll work fine. In fact that's exactly what Gigabyte (I think) did with some new cheap+cheesy chipset and hard drive blocks.

14. Lowtryx

Lowtryx What's a Dremel?

There's an Auto Cad-like program called eMachine Shop which you download onto your computer. After you do all the designing (Which isn't hard at all, by the way. There are tutorial videos which allowed me to get the jist of it over night) you allow it to verify your work for 'pheasibility' and accuracy. Then, built into this program is an ordering system.. You never have to leave your house, except to get the mail perhaps ;).

Anyway, you can use any kind of mill or machine you would find in a machine shop, and any material, thickness.. Anything, you name it. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it :).

http://emachineshop.com/