1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Making Windoze 98 stable ?? no seriously :p

Discussion in 'Software' started by Phrozenpenguin, 7 Mar 2002.

1. Phrozenpenguin

Phrozenpenguin What's a Dremel?

Please no flames - i need to get a stable windows 98 se system. Its always on but nothing to hard - not 100% load. Currently it crashes after 3-4 days :( What do i need memory managers or what - dont say new os. I dunno why it crashes cos its kinda not got screen etc - see here for more info.

Help needed:confused:

Charlie

2. RTT

RTT #parp

get all your hardware running as best as you can, make sure there are no IRQ conflicts and such. perhaps underclock a little if youre overclocked.

disk de-frag, and try to find a program called MagnaRAM or something, that used to make my win98 machine last a little longer.

seriously though, it'll be hard to acheive uptimes that you can expect on an NT kernel on win9x. RAM leakage is one of its major problems im afraid.

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Start with a clean install, stick with stable drivers rather than the latest drivers, keep residents to a minimum.

My 98SE has been far more stable since I got a good psu (Antec) instead of the no-name cheapy I had in my old case.

4. CrasH99

CrasH99 What's a Dremel?

Ive run 98 and XP and ive worn all the tshirts but my favourite one is "Windoze Sux" :)

5. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

make sure u have the power settings set properly make sure u do this

turn hdd off ( never )
    stand by ( never )
    moniter off ( ur choice )

win98/se cant handle stand by for a huge amount of time it just crashes after u wake it up and it never seems to turn the hdd on properly coz if it does wake it up it runs slower then a 2 legged dog

6. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Could you not just get a really old and cheap copy of NT4 workstation? (assuming that version runs the NT kernel?)
    I saw a copy in CEX in London for a tenner.
    Or will it not run with the hardware/software that you are using?

*UPDATE* - I had a quick check - NT4 workstation and NT4 server both have the same kernel, so in theory one should be as stable as the other....

Last edited: 8 Mar 2002
  7. Phrozenpenguin

OK thanx for the help guys - il see what i can come up with :rolleyes: Its not overclocked, -- only a P133 - may try underclocking a little.
    Nt/2000 was the aim, but 2000 dont work with the hardware (ez bios conflict) and NT dont have good driver support i dont think :(
    Il see what i can do...

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

Windows 98 isnt designed to be permantly up, so its going to crash after a while... NT technology fixes this... I know you said dont tell me to get a new OS, but if you want more stability than 3-4 days, you are going to have to look at something else, try something like debian linux if you dont want to purchase a new version of windows.

There arent many ways around it not crashing.... Windows 98 is like that... it was designed as a home users OS, which means it isnt designed to stay on all the time. If you dont fancy linux, go for a version of NT4, Im sure you can find a copy for a reasonable price somewhere. :)

9. Phrozenpenguin

Ok thanks for the ideas guys

Tags: