1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Maplins, the future and You

Discussion in 'Modding' started by rK@NE, 20 Dec 2001.

1. rK@NE

rK@NE Rover's gonna get it...

Whats the world coming to eh?

Anyone who's been into Maplin Electronics lately will have noticed the massive change in focus, from being a low-cost highstreet electronics supplier (which to be fair the semi-conductor range is shrinking by the hour!) into a glorified Toys R Us!

Toy cars, walking robots and a Jurassic Park T-REX line the shelves. I work at stoke and currently only 20% of component drawers are used the other 80% lay empty and will probably do so until they finally decided to stock nothing but NE555s and 1N4001s.

No disrespect to Maplins (I work for them, and I don't want the sack :) but the company is rapidly turning into something neither old-skool customers, modders and the majority of the staff can concieve possible.

But then, how much profit can you make on a 7p resistor?
    The pound wins out everytime...

2. linear

linear Minimodder

This happened to Radio S*ack in the US a few years back also. They cut 70% of their inventory of components, and made room for toys (RC cars, keyboards and low end hi-fi stuff) and mobile phones. They are trained to flog the phones--I walk in wearing my work-issue phone visibly on my belt and they still pester me. "Are you happy with your service?" "I don't pay for it, so yes." "Interested in our <foo> rate plan?" "Not unless you pay me to use your phone..."

I've changed to using mail order houses for all my components. At any rate, I'll trade you one Maplin's for all the Radio S*ack's in the US.

3. Dr_kazza

Dr_kazza What's a Dremel?

you should disemvowel R*d** Sh*ck

4. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

RS does suck now especially since they only carry a third of whats in their catalog. fortunately there is another electronics store here called Fry's that has 50 foot rows of resistors, toggles, and other parts. they carry the entire molex lines, and anything else that you can think of, the downside is they dont do websites or catalogs :(

5. linear

linear Minimodder

Tha downside to Fry's is that there's not one near me. :(

S*ack expands quite nicely in my shell:
    Slack
    Snack
    Smack
    ShutupaboutyerfriggingcellphoneorI'llcramitinyercrack
    etc...

6. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Umm I;m too drunk to understand this thread... but but jpr ae good, shop ther :)

r.

7. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

drunk on liquid cheese and grain alcohol, right? :rofl:

8. Cheese

Cheese Doc

err I don;t think so... though I didn;t ask where the beer came from :confused:

r.

9. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

i'm too sober to understand chheesy :(

still easily rectified :D

10. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

but more seriously, it is worrying when an electronics shop starts selling toys i mean wtf do i need them for? i neeeeeeeeeed LEDs not toy cars etc , mind you they could stock more computer stuff cause PCworld and all the other shops in my area are a pile of ****

11. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Umm if you need leds go to jpr - half the price :)

www.jprelec.co.uk order your catalogue for free :D

r.

12. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

cooool

13. Cheese

Cheese Doc

umm they like businesses (so invent one when ordering a catalogue to ensure quick delivery) - but don't mind selling to anyone. The best bit are there u-bright red led's for 24p a pop - they're very bright and very cheap! Cheers,

r.

14. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

ESR Electronic Components aren't bad on price, download the pdf catalogue section. Delivery is £1.50 on light-weight orders.

Have to agree about Maplin's downslide. Pity, as their main warehouse/trade counter is only 10 minutes away. But every catalogue issue there's more crap and fewer components. :mad:

15. Cheese

Cheese Doc

wow that's a horrible catalogue, not bad prices though :)

r.

16. rK@NE

Yer, I don't like the shift towards toys (the Jurassic Park dino is wkd tho :p)

Maplins have a very large share of what is widely regarded as a niche market, where else can you buy electronic components on the british highstreet?

Tandys are gone as is T2, getting parts from RS without being a big business is hard enough. There are a few local retailers around but are small and generally ill-stocked.

Personally I think they've (Maplins) have spread their product range too broad, not specializing in anyone thing anymore. It's a tragic one way street that I think will be hard to come back from if they do continue down it.

For just once it would be nice to see the "suits" come down to the shops and see what its all about; time out from the P&Ls to see what the customer REALLY wants.

I'm sure its not an all singing all dancing TREX.

17. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

the good thing about maplin is that they have ppl to give you electronics advice for the inept like meh eheh :)

18. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Never had a problem ordering online. The only difference is, retail customers pay delivery charges, trade accounts don't.
    Not in the Doncaster shop. No semiconductors, resistors or capacitors, just a few connectors and some (expensive) Vellman kits. Oh, and toys.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2001
  19. rK@NE

I've been to the trade counters on numerous occassion and they were less than enthusiastic about sorting me with a handful LEDS.

Just my personal experience however.

20. rK@NE

Were you tempted to buy a T-REX tho, thats the question?