1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Marco Simoncelli dies in MotoGP crash

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 23 Oct 2011.

1. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

I was devastated when I heard, he has been my favourite rider for the past year or so. RIP Marco

2. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

3. Rankine

Rankine What's a Dremel?

I think so.... Valentino was very frustrated and desperate when everybody was waiting for news about the health conditions of Marco. I cannot imagine what he thought and felt once the Organization released the official sentence of SIC death.... :(

I also cried like a baby: Marco was full of talent, warrior, funny and i considered him like a friend, even if i never known him for real.
    Yesterday we lost a great rider and man with a great heart.

R.I.P. Marco

4. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I couldn't believe it when I was told. this is such a huge loss for the sport. Marco was a great rising talent for the future and I think next season would have seen him challenge for the title in a big way.

My condolences go out to his family as I know his girlfriend was there watching and to Colin Edwards and Rossi because no rider wants to know they were involved in something like this even if they couldn't help it. And well Rossi and Marco were very close friends

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Bad news comes in threes:
    Dan Wheldon, That Baja Driver (who's name I keep forgetting) and now Simoncelli.

I am sure Edwards and Rossi feel horrible, but they are probably also aware of the fact that there was NOTHING they could have done differently.

Sad few weeks for Motorsport, which serve as a harsh reminder that doing anything at high speeds can have really severe consequences.

6. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Rick Huseman? He was a Traxxas team driver/ sponsored driver, his brother & their pilot all died when their plane went down.

Indeed, a really terrible week for motorsport :(

7. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

I named one of my new kittens after him with the other being named after kamui Kobayashi from F1.

These were the 2 men that I admired most in motorsport, both always had a smile on their faces no matter what had happened.

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Him, yes... no disrespect meant, I just keep forgetting his name. :grr:

9. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

When I watched the crash the first time I didn't see his helmet come off, then when I noticed it, I realized just what absolutely horrible crash it was. As sick as it sounds I've probably watched it 20 times analyzing the way it happen similar to what I done when the twin towers came down, It's one of those things that just grabbed me and I just remember thinking OMG how would any one survive that.

What I loved about Morco was apart from coming a cross as a really nice bloke, it was his attitude towards racing, always giving 110% and total commitment and quite happy to stick an elbow out , should have been a SBK rider...lol

R.I.P Marco

Last edited: 25 Oct 2011
  10. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

RIP

I was watching video's of the crash, I think Marco would have probably been knocked out when Colin crashed into him.

Very unlucky crash :sigh: Not only does it look like Marco was pinned under his bike, but the bike was being held up high enough by Marco's leg, that the tyres could still grip instead of sliding out of the way to safety :miffed: You can see both Colin and Rossi trying their best to turn in tight and then slow down to avoid crashing into Marco, but unfortunately they've both still hit Marco hard enough to force him under his bike :eeek:

11. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Today was the funeral of Marco Simoncelli and, of course, thousands turned out to pay their respects.

What i wasn't aware of though was the tribute made to him both by the Moto GP riders and thousands of bikers around the world. Instead of a minutes silence they observed a minutes revving. I have to say this is a much more fitting tribute to any motorsport competitor since any who die, die doing what they love.

I can't find any video of it right now though. Will post back when i find some.

12. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Also they've renamed Misano to The Marco Simoncelli International Circuit. Awesome tributes indeed.

13. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

One of my friends died in a motorcycle accident a few years ago. She was carried in a motorcycle hearse to the crematorium, I was part of a motorcycle procession of about 30 bikers. When we arrived, all of us revved up our bikes, Japanese in line fours, italian v-twins, American thumpers, the noise was something else. After all this time, it still brings a smile to my face and a tear to my eye.

14. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Why didn't I comment in this thread at the time? :confused:

Anyway, I was terribly saddened to see this. A good friend of mine works for the company who produces the MotoGP show for the BBC, and their whole team was in shock the day that it happened. If any of you saw the tribute intros and outros on the MotoGP show on Sunday past, those were created by Neil and Graham, the producer and assistant producer of that team. They also had some nice edits on the red button content yesterday. I saw most of it in a special screening on Thursday night with him and a couple of mates. They were extremely moving clips.

RIP Marco. The racing world lost another son, but will never forget him.

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

16. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Wow. There's racing incidents and then there's this. That track looks horribly unsafe and by the looks of it completely lacking the correct amount of marshals. Also who continues full throttle into a huge cloud of dust and rolling tyres?! That death could have so easily been prevented :(

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The cars don't look particularly safe either - the tracks look OK, but the drivers should've backed off a bit sooner (you can see wheels bouncing across the track... Lift off ffs.)

18. identikit

identikit Minimodder

The walls are far too close to the circuit and as a result the tyre barrier actually pinballed the car back onto the racing line. The tyre barriers themselves are only 4 high and 1 deep in places and they do not have any mechanism of keeping them together or dissipating the impact like the conveyor belts used by the FIA.

19. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It what his dad asked for, 2 mins of noise.