1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Mass Effect PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 May 2008.

1. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

that rebelpheonix dude seems to be right on the money

2. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

What the hell is all this fuss about? It takes 30 seconds to type in a code and get activated. I've installed BioShock 3 times now and never had the slightest bit of trouble. Publishers have used various forms of copy protection for eons, and this sort of DRM is only slightly different. Now I know Starforce adds an unnecessarily large overhead to your system, and there are potential security implications surrounding SecuROM, but the real terms impact on gamers isn't NEARLY as bad as people make out.

In my opinion, gamers whining about DRM 'killing' gaming are just a guilty of hyperbole as the publishers whining on about the wildly exaggerated rates of piracy they pull out of their arses.

Yes its a bit **** that we have to put up with this crap, and I hate being treated like a criminal as much as anyone else. However, this is just how capitalism works. If you don't like it, you vote with your wallet and don't buy the damn thing.

However that means you also DON'T get to play. Resorting to piracy as a protest is NEVER going to solve anything. Its just a vicious circle that only going to hurt everyone. The publishers are never going to back down so we have to be the bigger men (and women) here, and stop casually supporting piracy.

If you don't want to pay for it then you can't play it (ugh - no rhyme intended there). There is no excuse for piracy, no matter what. GROW UP for god's sake!

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Did you remember to use the Revoke Tool?

4. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

And so Mass Effect PC is currently cracked and on several large torrent sites...

I'm glad to see the CP was so wonderfully successful and worth annoying all those paying customers with :duh:

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    And "would be" paying customers.

6. donnie

donnie Moddin' my way out of a paper bag

Now i'm not suggesting any of you got and download a copy because i STILL think bioware deserves our respect and more importantly our money but as of yesterday a copy of mass effect turned up on THOSE? sites included with a crack so EA's spent money on CP and 7-8days before they launch the game it has already turned up on the interweb with 36 people got it and 3000+ downloading it now, now that is shocking figures.

Just to clear things up i was visiting those sites for a legitimate reason, i missed the season finale of LOST and that is something that cannot be tolerated LOL anyway i enjoy watching tv when i want to and not when they show it.

7. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

this game seems to not have joystic support which is kinda strange since its a xbox360 port :/

8. donnie

donnie Moddin' my way out of a paper bag

I think they reason is because they had to completely redo the interface to take advantage of the mouse and keyboard so its not really a port in the traditional sense but more a modified version for PC's.

9. MachineUK

MachineUK What's a Dremel?

Who can we thank for that...............all praise to the "properly" modified versions of console games on PC!!

10. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i didnt think much of Mass Effect tbh
    i didnt go into it expecting much, i try not to buy into hype for any game and RPGs are pretty low on my list of prefered genre anyway
    but kotor 1 and 2 are the only RPGs i've actually managed to finish, so i was expecting this to be at least playable for me ;)

i gave up after less than an hour and uninstalled it, the graphics were pretty poor imo
    i wasnt expecting Crysis or UT3 but then i wasnt expecting Quake 3 either ;)
    the weapon effects and such are decent but the rest of it is very mediocre imo
    the close ups of people talking in the cut scenes were especially terrible i thought, bad lip syncing and the alien dudes just looked awful, really crappy models and textures

this would've been ok if the gameplay had been awesome tho, poor graphics dont ruin a game for me (i played through Quake 2 again last week!)
    but, the fps elements in the combat really didnt work for me
    i felt there was just enough FPS in the game to make me want to play it like an FPS but not enough to make it work
    it was just frustrating

also the slow as **** sprint when not in combat was really annoying, like all RPGs apparently Mass Effect wants you to spend at least half of your gametime walking between places, this wouldnt be so bad if you could sprint as fast as you can in combat at any time
    but you cant, you can do a slow jog

the storyline didnt really grab me either, after the first few cut scenes i just started skipping them and picking the middle response everytime because i just didnt care, i wanted to go shoot something already :p

overall gets a big fat meh :p
    might be different if you really like RPGs though i guess...

bioshock and stalker are about as close to RPGs as i like to get generally speaking though :p

edit: oh and 10 days between US and EU release dates? thats ********.

11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Even more when the price has already dropped $10 in USA Amazon and Best Buy.

12. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Yay it's out~! Heaps of fun playing through the intro part. In terms of graphics it's all pretty good. Turned off graininess right away (ug, what the hell?), and I'm kinda wondering about why they chose to have pixelated self shadows, but yeah... This is the experience I've been waiting for since I first played part of it on 360. No fps lock, better graphics and mouse/keyboard :D
    Oh and I had no trouble installing it. Wouldn't have even known it checked online if it weren't for all this scandel...

13. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Glad people are able to play it, i purchased today via EA's download service (which i rather stupidly decided to do despite having poor experiences with Crysis on the same service). The game crashes as soon as i try and select the configuration menu or hangs when trying to launch the game executable direct. Judging by this thread http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=631309&forum=127&sp=0 i'm not alone. A great way to force people down the console path by porting software that hasn't been playtested properly.

14. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

We must have played different games. I just beat it yesterday.

In my opinion, it had very good graphics. While not the best, I didn't find them lacking.

I thought the weapon effects were rather lame, all the weapons looked alike and their fire animations and effects were all the same.

I thought it was the best lip syncing I have ever seen in a game. The body movement/language was also excellent and very fluid.

Matter of opinion ;)

While I agree that the slow running while not in combat was annoying, there was minimal time spent walking between places. Did you not make use of the rapid transit in the Citadel? Did you get out of the Mako whenever you landed on a planet?

Considering the story doesn't really pickup until about 2-3 hours in, I'm not surprised. If you don't like story in your games, just go play Quake, CounterStrike, TF2 or some other game.

15. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Ahhh...didn't notice this. :D

I've been waiting for this to hit the PC, and when it finally does I'm in Thailand on vacation. Strange how much has happened during the few weeks I've been away and not touching a single computer.
    Well, great - think I'll run by the computer store tomorrow to pick one up in time for the weekend. :D

Shame about the lack of AA though, but I guess it can be forced through drivers?

16. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Picked this up today; instantly hooked! Great game. :D

17. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

just finished the game and wow... that was quite possibly the best game Bioware has made since Baldur's Gate II. My only real qualms are that the weapon variety was rather lacking (No rockets? No hand to hand? No nasty cutting beam lasers?) and the game was rather easy once you get past your first planetary mission. But the story was very well done, the voice acting goes from so so to absolutely top notch (props to whoever voiced the Admiral... I know the voice, I just don't have a name), and the 3rd person shooting kept the game intense all the way to the end, unlike the click click yawn of say KOTOR. The moral issues dealt with are also more fitting and up to date, and the developers definitely don't pull punches when it comes to graphic acts of violence during cut scenes (the combat is pretty bloodless, but a few of the cutscenes were definitely not PG-13). All in all a great game and a must play.

18. impar

impar Minimodder

19. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

I thought ME was a major dissappointment, after hearing about it being an art, best RPG ever. Not even close. worst repetitive side quests I have ever seen, only one population centre to explore in the entire galazy? What happened to exploration and good side quests? I knew after getting off Eden prime where the story was going. The game is very short, even if you grind through all the pointlless side quests with bare planets that all look the same. What was all the fuss about? Many better RPGs around. The choices have little effect on anything other then giving you the same result with different conversation. The Witcher did this way better. The combat was decent, the graphics still have low res console textures, the least they could have did was upgraded the textures. Lack of content, short, predictable and repetitive. Colour me unimpressed, too much console written over this game with emphaisis on driving and shooting.

The story is predictable and cliche. we have already seen the Ancient race returns to threaten the galaxy angle. sure, it is well told with some good moments, but it lacks in MANY areas that reviews seem to gloss over. One of the shortest RPG's I have ever played.

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Way to please the legit buyer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tags: Add Tags