1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Matrix Orbital GX Typhoon Display

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 May 2008.

1. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Any idea what size this is? I'm assuming 1U or 1x 5.25", based on the pictures...
    But I'll be buggered if I can find it in the article.

2. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Sorry bout that Sparrowhawk. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in there, but I might not have. It's a 5.25" bay insert :)

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think that is somewhat unfair. First, a TFT screen can be hooked to S-Video. It does not slow down the PC in anyway and managing two screens is no problem (although it may get thrown off by programs changing the resolution on the main screen --sometimes). Second, Samurize is as easy to use as LCD Studio reviewed in the article.

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Can you set the backlight to turn on / off in the software and/or put it on a seperate switch? I'm thinking of one of these for a headless server to display basic status info without having a real screen connected.

5. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

I kind of feel that its getting a higher rating than it deserves.

I have nothing against MO and their products, but it all comes down to, you guessed it, THE SOFTWARE.

If I am not mistaken, their software is open source or at least free to use even if you haven't purchased one of their products. So are you reviewing their screen + software combo, or the software only, or the hardware only?

hell there is always: http://www.lcdc.cc/index.php also!

Now the rating doesn't really bother me, just more of a "what exactly are you rating?"

MO definitely deserves the rating for sure, I have one of their early boards, and their Customer service was good, although their forums were a bit sparse back then.

I've had a mod idea for a LONG time that would specifically need a LCD, and I will probably end up picking this one up when I get around to ya know, having the 4-5k green needed for the mod and the computer parts itself, haha.

anyway, always a superb job done with the review, keep it up, I am loving these MOD centered reviews as of late.
    (we want more INFO articles though, like the how to buld a server part 1 / 2 or watercooling 101 and such series.)

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I just love Rays LCD Studio. It's the best program for working with Graphical lcd's. I have a 240x128 pixels display, although it lacks the matrix orbital controls and usb connectivity it displays my own created background images, and a funy 'pong' animated image someone made, and a shitload of system information screens, graphical information of temperatures, loads etc.

The only shame is that the incredible LCD studio lacks somewhat in community programmers.

I still have a old Matrix Orbital 2x16 display laying around. Just after reading this I think I will build this old thingy into a case i have here.

7. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Which internet shops can ship this to australia at a good price?

Tags: Add Tags