1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Matrix Orbital VFD - 'output'?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by G-gnome, 25 Aug 2003.

1. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Hey all! :)

I am throwing this question to you LCD/VFD Guru's out there - I hope someone can help me.

I have a Matrix Orbital 20x4 VFD. It doesn't have all the GPO's like the MO 20x4 LCD but it does have a two-pin header right next to the Power In. This is labeled 'Out' and has a '+' and '-' sign next to it. I am assuming it can be used to power an indicator LED?

1) Can I hook up an LED to this?

2) Any Idea what Voltage is output by it (so I can work out my resistor)? and

3) Could I use this with LCDC to blink when email arrives etc?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb, but I am finishing my VFD enclosure off and would like to hook this up to something if possible before I close it all up (I can figure out the software part later).

Any help is greatly appreciated (but please, only if you know the answer for sure as I don't want to blow anything by mistake! :eeek: )

Many thanks and cheers all!

Edit - I looked at the LCD/VFD FAQ sticky and it mentions GPO's and their uses, I would just like to know if the out on my VFD is a GPO as well (and to confirm it is 5v@20mA ?).

Edit # 2 - I just found out that it is a 5v/20mA GPO with a 240 ohm resistor! Yay! Question answered. Cheers! :)

:D

Last edited: 25 Aug 2003
  2. Henry

Henry Matrix Orbital