1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maximus IV Legacy Boot Event

Discussion in 'Asus UK' started by lilgoth89, 15 Jul 2014.

1. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

well i just picked up this mobo off the forums here and i cant get it to post at all

i just get a debug LED that either reads A2 = Ide detect and just sits idle like that till i turn it off or occasionally i get AE = legacy boot event where it will also sit untill i turn it off

it doesnt post, or output anything to screen...so i cant get to the Bios

have i been sold a duff board ?

2. lilgoth89

well removing the GPU has allowed me to accsess the bios at last, i loaded up default everything and restarted

going to install windows and then install the GPU to see if i cant get it running that way

3. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Maybe it was, but wasnt doing the graphics through the GPU? I've had that before when I built my rig.. No idea why, but it just didn't recognise it untill i'd installed the drivers etc...

4. lilgoth89

well it didnt help, however i got my gpu to work by installing it into the other PCI-E slot

dead slot i think, its going to make it very tricky when i get my 7870 back as it is a little larger than 2 slot ( more like 4 )
    maybe im missing something in the bios that allows me to change the PCI-E slots on and off i dont know

5. lilgoth89

More problems with the board, it likes to disconnect me from whatever game im playing ( played World Of Tanks, Star Trek Online...and every 10 mins it will disconect me from the game, and i have to re-login again ( exiting the battle in WOT and leaving me idle in Star Trek )

then finally it crashed, and when i re-booted i get the 'windows failed to boot' message that tells me my SSD is corrupt ( yet it STILL shows 100% health installed in another computer ) and its even somehow managed to lose sight of my optical drive 'please insert boot media' umm its in

thinking of binning the motherboard as its 2nd hand so i wont get warranty

list of problems
    Dead PCI-E slot
    intermittent networking adapter
    intermittent Sata ports
    incorrect reading of fan speeds

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Get in touch with the seller if it has arrived like that.

I have one of these boards and its solid as a rock.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Lilgoth, do you have the mobo CD?

If you do, remove all other boot devices and just leave the optical drive attached - Asus boards used to default to CD boot and the mobo CD used to have the factory BIOS in the boot sector of the disc, so even if you can't get into the BIOS you could reset to original to get the board working and then flash to a more recent/latest release.

I honestly don't know if Asus still does this, but it got me out of trouble a couple of times in the past.

8. lilgoth89

well the bios is up to date, but the PCI-E slot is still a no-go

im planning on cheating its optical spazz fit by booting off a USB stick ^_^

might do a full re-install of the OS ( vista....UGH) from the stick

but its likely ill end up replacing the Mobo and i will DEFINATLY be getting a windows 7 / 8(with start menu) at some point. just vista is the only OS i have with a code atm
    my other rig is STILL in the hands of the police

eventually the plan is to merge this computer ( case, MOBO), with my old rig ( everything else)

9. lilgoth89

and yet now i go to boot from USB, miss the bios...and windows starts up just fine

10. lilgoth89

another twist to the tale...

in windows, ive noticed periodic complete lockups ( running MSE scan ) and the number will freeze dead, and while its stopped, the internet doesnt work, skype will drop the current call, as will facebook etc, and the hard drive light stays ON

this might be whats kicking me out of online games
    so some of the problems could simply be down to the OS, or they could be a side effect of the issue thats affecting the Sata ports )
    its almost like this computer is determined to aggrovate me as much as possible so i throw it out the window

11. Hitman

Hitman Minimodder

Sorry you've had so many issues lilgoth89.

I ran it since new in my system with out any issues so I'm not sure why it's suddenly developed lots. Did you say you'd reset the bios to defaults? I realised now I didn't reset it.

I'll post in the for sale thread and we can work out a return.

12. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Is the BIOS version you updated to fully compatible with Vista? My parents have so many issues with that OS it's unreal..

13. lilgoth89

well i just finished installing vista ( to the bin ) and replacing it with a shiny new copy of windows 7 pro X64

the board seems alot happier now, just installing the drivers off the ASUS website ( and downloading star trek online ) to see if it makes a difference

then ill have a go at bringing the pci-e slot back to life before i return it

as you said you ran it without problems, so it all could be a software tickbox ive overlooked

14. lilgoth89

now ive lost my star trek online account that ive put £25 into due to 'attempting a disconnect exploit'

not that i attempted anything...i was at the end of a mission when the board ONCE AGAIN ****ed up and disconnected me from the server

15. Hitman

Hitman Minimodder

That's good news, I wondered if it could be Vista. When I had it I never needed to change anything relating to the PCI-e, it worked fine with my 570 GTX. Let me know how you get on with it though.

16. lilgoth89

decided to download Sanctuary and heaven benchmarks
    [​IMG]

you can clearly see the internet dropping out in the download speeds

17. Hitman

Hitman Minimodder

What a pain in the arse :(

No point in messing with it if there is an hardware issue somewhere, we can arrange a refund/return and I'll check with Asus as I said.