1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MB for i3 9100F

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deadshoes, 12 Sep 2019.

1. Deadshoes

Deadshoes New Member

I bought a motherboard for my incoming i3 9100f because it said on newegg that it was a 300 series MB. The MB showed up the day after I ordered it, but nowhere on the box says it's a 300 series MB. I confirmed that the processor would be compatible before I ordered it, but I'm concerned because nowhere in the instruction manual mentions "300 series".

It's a B360 MSI board.

The CPU is supposed to be without graphics, which is what I want, since I have two GTX 280s to plug into it, but the MB has a video out on the IO. I guessed that must be for the BIOS, but now I'm not sure since that doesn't make sense...?

Did I make a goof and order the wrong stuff? Or will these things work together?

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Well-Known Member

You should be fine there.
    B360 is '300 series' as its first digit is a 3 :thumb:
    Motherboards will invariably have video out ports on the IO as many people will use integrated graphics, and the i3 9100F without IGP is very much an exception.
    To be 100% sure search on MSI's site for your particular B360 board, and in the support tab/page there will be a supported CPU list for you to check.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Wot @Arboreal said: the video outputs on the motherboard are there for if you have a cpu with an iGPU; if you don't have a chip with an iGPU, as you don't, they just sit there doing nothing but taking up space. There was a thing a few years back where you could redirect an AIB/dGPU's video output through the motherboard ports, laptop-style, but I think it died a death.