1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical keyboard for a beginner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by meandmymouth, 30 Aug 2012.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

General consensus is that the Rapid is made by Costar and the Pro and Trigger are made by iOne, but having used a Filco I'd argue that unless you are a world champion typist or regularly beat people to death with your keyboard, you'd never notice a build quality difference.

iOne seem to have lost a degree of credibility within the hardcore mechanical crowd, but as with any OEM it's down to the customer (in this case Coolermaster) to ensure that they are happy with the quality control. I'd say they've done a decent job on the one on my desk :)

Teelzebub likes this.
  2. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I didn't need any of the fancy features, I wouldn't have said no but they weren't the main reasons for buying a mechanical. I also have a rather large gel wrist rest which I haven't used as my current microsoft keyboard already has a rest so it hasn't been needed really.

3. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Yeah main reason for me buying a mechanical is the actual keys, not the gold plated connectors (which are there to bump up the price I think).

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Seems I was incorrect about the CM Trigger, it's also costar. The CM Pro is iOne though for sure. There was one of the CM reps that confirmed it in some thread on GH the other day, and also stated they won't use iOne ever again.

5. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

It has arrived, but I have misplaced my wrist rest which, as the keyboard is quite bulky, I would quite like to use. So far after 5 minutes use I am quite pleased. I can already feel the difference and how much easier it is to type on a mechanical. Games shall have to be played later on!

6. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Yeah keep us updated mate.

I'm really interested in this given that my space key is playing up on my current board.

7. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Will do, got a few pictures of it ready to post. So far I have been typing with it a lot this evening and I can really see why everyone loves mechanicals. I do find myself catching multiple keys every now and then but I guess that is to be expected to begin with. It did feel some much better and easier to type on straight away.

8. GMC

GMC Minimodder

The multi key catch thing happened to me too. Only lasted about half a day though :)

9. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

How are you getting on with the keyboard?

Teelzebub likes this.
  10. oliverr97

oliverr97 What's a Dremel?

Yeah, i'd love to know this, as im looking at one myself

11. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I'm getting on well with it. SO much better than a rubber dome keyboard. I can not compare it to any other mechanicals as I have never used any others but I am very pleased with it.
    It's quite a heavy piece of kit and the detachable USB cable is a nice touch, particularly when cleaning.
    The partial back lighting I do really like but it's probably a marmite-type thing.