1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Hmm, well when my case arrives I'll be fiddling about, I'll try swapping a couple of springs and seeing how it feels I guess.

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

To be fair I don't know - it's here & you can't ask the seller questions (which is a new one for me...)

Yes - 'normal' plates (where you can't remove the switch top) have just got perfectly square holes

Last edited: 24 Apr 2013
  3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

They look like laser to me.

4. GeorgeK

Clears are lovely. Panda clears are nice but there wasn't a lot of difference in my opinion in the feel before the switch actuated but you bottom out more as the clear springs really ramp up in terms of stiffness before you bottom out. Ergo clears can stick on the return - I'd love to try them lubed but it's a lot of hassle...

Fair enough - I'm just thinking about a cheaper mechanical board for work so I can have my beige Filco with browns at home...

mars-bar-man likes this.
  5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I'd be more worried about it being a G81 and have MY switches.

6. GeorgeK

Yeah... If only I could contact him and ask for a photo (preferably of the back...)

Any suggestions for a decent but cheap board for work - Cherry G80-XXXX ?

Edit: Preferably with browns I suppose

7. GeorgeStorm

Well these currently have ergo clears, and while I think I like the feel of them, they may be a little light for me coming from blacks, and although obviously will need to give it more time before being 100% sure.
    Panda clears sound nice to me, since I tend to be quite a heavy typist (dat bottoming out sound :D)

As I said, when my case arrives I'll be taking keycaps etc off to take some pictures and transfer the board, wouldn't be that much extra hassle to try swapping some springs quickly to see how they feel.

8. GeorgeK

Worth a go to see what you prefer, especially if you've got it apart anyway! I do like the feel of ergo clears but it's the inconsistency that bothered me (plus the fact that I had keys stick down even using brand new springs)

9. el2k

el2k Modder

It's deffinately MY switches.

Peter over at DT offered me a g80-3000 with UK doubleshots and centre stemmed 1.25 mods for £45 +15 shipping. It has blues though..

It's a nice board and I told him I'd think about it.

If you really want it you can take it on, I'm not the biggest fan of full size boards, but it's a fair price if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. GeorgeK

Sounds like a very fair price - I'm not the biggest fan of blues though tbh... Do Cherry G80-XXXX boards usually only come with blues or blacks?

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Blues, blacks or sometimes clears.

12. GeorgeK

Oooh - clears would be good :D

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

So you're looking for a G80-3000LQCEU, you'll probably have to go second hand.

14. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

G80-3000LQ*DE are usually easy to get on ebay.de... though getting those that ship outside of DE can be more challenging sometimes.

15. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

So I just picked up my HHKB Pro2 Type-S:

[​IMG]

It may have cost me an arm and a leg (about £350 when you include shipping and customs fees), but it is absolutely awesome to type on, even compared to my Realforce. I'd also be surprised if it wasn't the quietest mechanical keyboard around....even including rubber domes for that matter, as even when bottoming out as I do it's the quietest keyboard I've ever used and has a really satisfying, soft sound signature.

It will take me a while to get used to the layout though - I've only ever used ISO layout boards before so this is very different. I think the hardest thing to get used to will be the position of the left Control being above the left Shift, especially when it comes to gaming.

The only problem I have with it so far is that the grips on the bottom are pretty terrible so it slides very easily over my desk. I've had to place it on a spare mouse pad for now but I think I will have to attach some extra grippy rubber feet to it at some point.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2013
  16. GeorgeStorm

I don't remember the HHKB being THAT quiet.
    Compared to something like mx blacks, if you don't bottom out they can be very quiet indeed (although who would want to do that I've no idea, still don't understand people who want quiet mechanicals, the noise is half of the beauty :D)

17. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

That is a Type-S and therefore will be whisper quiet!

18. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

People who sometimes stay up all night gaming and don't want to wake the entire house with clacking of keys :p

Was it a Type-S you tried or just a regular HHKB? The Type-S is the 'silent' version which is quieter, but does come at a $130 premium.

19. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

The layout is still the worst bit. I get annoyed enough with keyboard than like to put and fn key in the corner. As for the price...I'd be inclined to wait until I'm in HK to get one without the markup.

20. GeorgeStorm

Didn't see it was the type-S, not going to make a comment on that :p

Fair enough I guess, I currently can't talk on mumble/make any noise really after midnight due to a housemate who is a light sleeper, so I can see where you're coming from.

Mechanicals are very calming though, like rain :D