1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Media Streaming to PS3

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by leebarros, 12 Oct 2009.

1. leebarros

leebarros What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I have just moved my PS3 downstairs into the living room hooked up to the FullHD tv (what a difference). Its connected via wireless which took ages to get working although after getting it to work, i wasnt impressed with the connection stability. The router is about 5 meters away from the PS3 and the download speeds are terrible and trying to view webpages is slow.

I have ordered an ethernet cable to run from the PS3 to the router to solve this problem (hopefully).

Before I moved it, the PS3 was next to my computer in my room upstairs (also wireless). I had them connected using a crossover cable and allowed the PS3 to use my computers internet connection and this worked great, good speeds as well.

I have Winamp Remote installed and when the PS3 and PC were on, I could access all my media through the XMB. There was a little green orb under Video, Music, Pictures etc... It worked great. Music played, Videos played...

Since I have moved it downstairs, I can no longer see my computer via the "orb". I have also tried installing TVersity and at first it did see the computer but when I tried to access it on the PS3, it came up with a aDNLA 7531 error. I havent been able to get it to work since.

What on earth am I doing wrong? Its driving me mad :wallbash:

I hope someone can help me out here...please:thumb:

4.54billionyears likes this.
  2. identikit

identikit Minimodder

3. 4.54billionyears

4.54billionyears What's a Dremel?

Thanks! i've been using an 8gb usb stick to put media on and playing it in ps3. i am glad i saw this thread, i had no idea this streaming from pc to ps3 (wii and 360 too) could be done.

*After moving media files to my 1tb green external hard drive to watch more current entertainment. i downloaded, installed and configured ps3 media server successfully. watching tenacious d complete masterworks volume 2 dvd now.
    **local cable company provides free dvr in cable box but it records commercials along with the tv episode, not fun.
    ***ps3 has continuous media playlist, fun.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2009
  4. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

interesting..this is something i will be looking into in a few months...(consider this post my thread marker for me to find in the future easier :) )

5. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

any way to play MKVs on the PS3 yet?

6. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Been streaming mkvs using PS3 Media Server for ages now.

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

how? with what? 720p?

8. leebarros

leebarros What's a Dremel?

Tried out that PS3 Media Server software and I have to say thanks for showing me that! I downloaded it, installed it and it found my PS3 right away. Even on the PS3's XMB, it shows up with PS3 Media Server and I can see my files...

However, i was getting a different dnla error. Cant remember the code but I purchased a network cable to connect the ps3 to the router and it works even better. No errors but it takes a while to load anything. I only tested it quickly last night and didnt get a chance to stream anything but im putting it down to my pc being wireless and slow.

Looks like im gona be hooking up my pc and ps3 to the router via ethernet cable...so much faster!

Cheers :rock:

9. 4.54billionyears

4.54billionyears What's a Dremel?

my playback was stuttering with small lag delay until i set my maximum bandwidth: 15. now its perfect. upnp wifi is working great for me.

the ps3 media server has a FAQ/help tab which says

10. identikit

identikit Minimodder

PS3 Media Server that I linked to earlier. 720p? Yes. 1080p? ohhhh yes.

talladega likes this.
  11. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

nice! thanks.