1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress MEGA PYRAMID (Coolermaster contest entry)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by wolfpc, 21 Apr 2011.

1. wolfpc

wolfpc What's a Dremel?

Project Mega Pyramid by Wolf PC
    This is my first case contest although I have been modding for about 5 years now. This is my second scratch build and will consist of 2 pyramid modules. The desktop module will contain a 19in wide screen monitor, webcam, and speakers. The dimensions are 55x55cm and roughly 90cm tall. The main module dimensions are 80x80cm base and 90cm high roughly with the planned case feet. The materials I will be using for the case are fiberglass,Aluminum, steel and plexiglass. Im waiting for the remaining of my Coolermaster products to arrive and will post the pics as soon as I have them.

This is my overall planned hardware list:

CoolerMaster V6GT CPU Cooler x1
    CoolerMaster GX Series 650W PSU x1
    CoolerMaster HDD Module STB-3T4-E3-GP x1
    GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTS450 GV-N450OC-1GI OVECLOCK 1GB x1
    GIGABYTE GA-M52LT-D3 MAINBOARD x1
    AMD ATHLON II X4 645 3.1GHZ QUAD-CORE BOX x1
    KINGSTON KHX1333C9D3B1/2G 2GB HYPERX DDR3 BLU x2
    WESTERN DIGITAL WD10EURS 1TB AV-GP SATA2 x1
    80mm fan red x4
    120mm fan red x4
    twin tube cold cathode light set red x5 (may need more)

Edit to include qualifying product:
    This is one of the products by coolermaster that I will be using the others are the V6GT cpu cooler and a power supply (havent decided which one yet)

[​IMG]

I started work on the desk module that will house the system monitor. The panels are 3mm thick fiberglass and will be fastened to the frame using rivets.The bottom panel will be 5mm thick. The base measures 55x55cm and is 40cm high.The frame is 1,7x1,7cm square steel tube 1mm thick. The monitor housing will also include 2 80mm fans for cooling (1 intake 1 exhaust).
    Here is the frame cut and welded (forgot to take photos of the cutting and welding)
    [​IMG]

I was lucky to have a few scraps of 3mm fiberglass around the shop from other projects that I was able to get 3 side panels out of.
    I then drilled for the rivet holes ( 25 rivets roughly per panel )
    [​IMG]

I then fastened the panels to the frame
    [​IMG]

The right side panel will be detachable for servicing (still debating on how to secure it)
    I started on the framework for the pyramid that will sit on the desk. Since there will not be much stress on the structure I decided to go with a thinner angle than I had originally planned (1.5mm thick 1.5cmx1.5cm).I used a rotary tool to make both the straight cuts as well as the needed angles.
    The parts cut.
    [​IMG]

I then took the base section and bent it with a hammer to form the needed angle. I first screwed the angle to a block of wood and clamped that tightly to my workbench. I then used a small sledge hammer as well as a lighter hammer to slowly and gently form the angle.
    [​IMG]

I then cut the needed angles (a real pain may I add) and riveted them together using small L brackets.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I lastly cut the fiberglass needed to size and went ahead and made the 4 side panels. I have found a really cool trick when laying simple shapes with fiberglass simply take a plastic dropcloth and lay it over your mold and work on that. Then when it sets up simply peel back the plastic.
    [​IMG]

I have been busy the past 2 days fabricating the panels for the desk module and finally riveting everything together. As soon as everything is finished I will be using fiberglass filler to smooth out the panels and hide the rivets followed by a light layer of bondo and glazing compound to finish the surface.The one side of the pyramid will be removable with screws to access the electronics. The pyramid will be riveted to the monitor housing.

Here is the base with the raw panel before the sides were trimmed
    [​IMG]

Here is the base panel being secured to the lower framework
    [​IMG]

Test fitting and assembly of the side panels
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used L brackets to tie the top of the structure together
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Apr 2011
  2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Great start! This is going to be awesome!

3. wolfpc

wolfpc What's a Dremel?

TIme for another update. I started work on the main module of my build which will house the system. The base is 80cmx80cm and with the planned case feet will stand roughly 80cm tall. I will be using 2cmx2cm 1.5mm thick aluminum angle for the frame as well as 0.5mm thick steel plates at the top to make the structure more rigid. For the base I will be using the same sized angle. I will be using small L-brackets to assemble the base. To attach the 2 frame members together I will be cutting 7.5cm long sections of 2mm thick by 2cm wide aluminum stock and bending them as needed to conform to the angle needed.

Before I start here is a photo of all the parts (before they met Mr Dremel and the big bad wolf :lol: )
    [​IMG]

I used a scrap from another mod to cut out the reinforcement plates for the top ( I try and reuse scraps as much as possible)
    [​IMG]

Aluminum meet Mr Dremel :D
    [​IMG]

Assembly
    [​IMG]

I made the frame In 2 parts
    [​IMG]

THe upper frame finished
    [​IMG]

Ok here is a fairly large photo update of the project. Due to budget constraints I could not finish in time for the Coolermaster contest.
    base cutting and forming
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Panel assembly, cutting and finishing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]