1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Memory Modes and timings on Ryzen.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sandys, 28 Nov 2018.

1. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I logged a few benches in anticipation of a CPU upgrade on black Friday sales, I wanted to see what the improvement would be after upgrading to 2xxx series.

Because I am just that interesting :D

Sales were not good enough for me to jump on it but some might find my collated information interesting as it has benchmarks showing how much extra performance you can get just tuning RAM on Ryzen rather than just using XMP.

I'm not a reviewer, this was just logging some number for my info and put them into charts, there could be an error picking up wrong cell on super position, I'll check after work.

Most in game benches were reset to defaults and then set at a low level as I wanted to see CPU really not GPU. numbers are averaged over a couple of runs.

Link to PDF.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TKqagFzvQJmDvqZNUlC0uHPKpEOTSVs8

Last edited: 28 Nov 2018
    Guest-56605 and Anfield like this.
  2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I should of added at TL;DR

Basically comparing stock clocks in with XMP vs Tuned timings you extract a further 6-13% out of CPU depending on the games I've tested, to get this boost from CPU you'd need another ~200-500Mhz, so worth spending time on memory as well as CPU overclock.

3. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

What memory voltage and mem kit were you using for your benching/testing @sandys?

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

GSkill Trident Z RGB CL16 3600 @ 1.45v, I have run it much higher, as much as 1.55 but through testing and BIOS changes I have been able to pull out voltage from ram and vddsoc to some quite modest numbers.

Could only get 3333 though, always try for more with each BIOS but reckon I really just need a better chip. Gen 1 Ryzen 3333 is a win.

Others have said it is the MSI motherboard holding me back and with a Taichi or Asus ROG board I would fair better, they might be right but a £300 at pop for a mobo I'll just be happy with my lot as it will unlikely get me more than a couple of % :) Should a next gen chip drop with new features I'll change then but very happy with the performance.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2018