1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Metro Last light > something worrying...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Stanley Tweedle, 7 May 2013.

1. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Force Feedback.

I guess convenience and being compact is the big advantage.

Can you get wireless versions for PC?

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yep. I have a wired one, and a wireless one.

3. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Yes - you need the MS Wireless dongle though - works well though. I even use it for driving vehicles in Arma 2 & 3 (but don't tell anyone!).

4. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Have I missed something? Surely this is a troll thread. Sure, their preview might not be great (don't visit Gamespot personally), but for their intended audience I'm sure they're right on the money. If you don't like their video, maybe don't watch it, but I thought it was pretty expected of Gamespot to focus on consoles - they're the most popular platform for these kind of games afterall (before anyone rolls out the PC-gaming is bigger because of Farmville thing).

I'm looking forward to Last Light, but tend not to watch all the hype videos and things before big game releases, particularly those I'm looking forward to, as you'll end up with over-hyped expectations that the release will never match, even if it actually were the best game ever™.

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I dunno Marvin... what if this time they are right? This is the best game ever and they under-hyped it!

What if? WHAT IF?

Nah... I am with you on this one. But personally I don't really play my console. So ... it only matters if the PC version isn't up to scratch.

6. Stanley Tweedle

I'd need to pay for extra therapy if I did buy one but I might give it a go sometime.

I got a friend who has wireless egbx controller and he wasn't sure if he could use it with his PC.

Intended audience.... well... it wasn't posted in a particular section like eggbx or PC but they made a point of telling us it was played on PC with console controller. A stack of consoles in the background... I sat there and watched the character moving slowly looking down at the ground most of the time because it's not easy walking with your head straight when using a controller. It was tedious to watch.

But yes... I am fluffing it up and making it out to be worse than it is.

I still think the PC version will be as good as the first game but seeing that video bias towards console irritates me no end.

Last edited: 8 May 2013
  7. October

October Mariachi Style

Eh...what are you smoking? Have you ever used one? Before I got round to buying the first Modern Warfare for my PC I played it on my housemates PS3. A lot. Took a good while to get used to, granted, but at no point did I have any issues looking straight ahead. If it was tedious to watch that's either the fault of the game (probably not) or the player, not the thing it's being played with.

I have a 360 pad for my PC, which is way more fun to use with pretty much any game that isn't an FPS.

8. Stanley Tweedle

I suspect the guy in the vid with the controller was just a noob. Even with a controller.

Last time I used one was probably on my PS1...

Putting it quite simply...

I don't like consoles and I don't think they've had a beneficial effect on PC gaming.

I don't like console controllers but I can see they're good for certain types of games.

Because I've been anti-console for such a long time I tend to look on stuff like the gamespot vid as perhaps worse than it is.

9. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

That might not be too much of a problem if the game's been nicely optimised.

Crysis 1 was a rig-killer, but the graphics-patched Crysis 2 was no more of a strain.

As for peripherals, the Xbox 360 controller is fantastic.

If a game suits a mouse and keyboard - and the keys can be remapped to my liking - then that's the way I like to play. FPS games are best played this way die to the lack of precision aiming with a thumbstick.

Some games, especially driving games, are better on a controller than a keyboard.

At the moment I'm playing Tomb Raider with my 360 controller. Aiming the firearms is not great, although the bow is OK, but for everything else the controller is pretty much spot on.

10. Stanley Tweedle

It's the lack of precision that annoys me when I see FPS being played with controller.

I've re-watched this vid today and realised I may have been a little harsh. So having watched it again I'd like to be much harsher. I can pretty much always tell when someone is using a controller for an fps and that's what annoys me. The control is probably worse here because the player was having to talk through the game rather than being focused. Nevertheless the control is very clearly console even without anyone saying so.

I'm not anti-console ports as such. Crysis 2 was a console game and they idiotically released the multiplayer demo with all the important console features enabled such as auto-aim. At least they went to some trouble after to make it more functional for PC.

If ever there was a console focused game site it's gamespot so the vid above comes as no surprise.

I'm so relieved to have gotten all this off my chest. I'm off for a guitar practice now.

11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Well you're going to be disappointed then, if it's any consolation the QTEs in Metro 2033 were of the relevant seamless kind (pry open doors, push Nosalis' big ugly face away from you) rather than the dumb 'interactive cutscene' kind so heavily used in BF3.

12. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

We will find out soon enough - it's pre-loading from now on Steam!

13. Stanley Tweedle

Did you play through the first one? I have to go back to it sometime. Not gonna do the Last Light until I complete first.

14. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I never managed to complete it - there was a point where it crashed every time and I could not get any further. Maybe I'll give it another go later!

15. Stanley Tweedle

I got stuck in one section for ages and turned out to be something obvious I'd overlooked. I got bored and went away after that.

I will go back and play from the start with 3d glasses sometime.

16. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I loved the first one, and it's a game I actually completed (I'm pretty terrible at games).

Well worth playing, I'm not normally a fan of scary things, but the whole atmosphere was just soo good (was going to say spot on, but since I've never experienced the Russian Metro in a post apocalyptic world, thought I better not :p)

Aiming to replay it on Ranger mode before playing Last Light.

17. Stanley Tweedle

I like scary. I assume Ranger is hardest mode.

I think the Metro world is compelling because it's not just a lone run & gun game. An entire AI social system that's quite believable.