1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics microcontroller-controlled RGB Luxeon Star lighting array

Discussion in 'Modding' started by g0th, 6 Aug 2005.

1. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The microcontroller is just a PICAXE-8 i had sitting around, a complex micro isn't needed for this application. with suitable firmware, the lighting could be controlled via RS-232 in real time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think?

2. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Neat, but increase the DPI of your schematic so you arent missing some of the lines. What was the heatsink you used? Just chop up and old one you had around?

3. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

Click to get the full sized image.

The LED's heatsink is from a low-end GPU of some sort, cut down into a kind of triangular shape.

4. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

You seem to have some air trapped in your watercooling.

For what reason did you choose to use the 12V supply for your luxeons when they all have a forward voltage less than 4V?

5. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

There's no watercooling installed, only the radiator. A short hose connects the two radiator hose barbs to prevent any water trapped in the rad leaking when the case is carried.

You could use 5V or any voltage for the Luxeon's, because it's current regulated as you can see. By using 12V, you could put 2 or 3 series LED's on each channel with no hardware modification.

6. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

My point was that at 12V you're wasting a lot more power than you need to. :)

7. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

hehe... I'm still used to IE having the little finger over all links... *mutters on about firefox making him look like an idiot*

Do you PWM the brighness, or do you just have each LED on or off?

8. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

PWM, so it's like a flashy fading sequence.

I'll try and get a video up in future.

I'm not sure what the voltage overhead in the LM317 circuitry would be, i guess it can't be much more than 1.5V, so yes, 5V would probably give 3.5V at least across the LED's, and would probably remove the need for a heatsink on the regulators. I might try that.