1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft adds Windows 10 upgrade to Windows Update

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Feb 2016.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

Microsoft like Linux in PC desktop will never convince the masses there platform is worth investing in over established players.

In smartphones Apple and Andriod have a market that has reached saturation in most first world country's tied up.

In desktop Microsoft has a similar thing. So does Valve with steam.

Windows mobiles market share has not gone anywhere in the last few years. Most of the surveys for people leaving Andriod suggest they will go IOS most leaving IOS go Andriod.

There's so many things that need to change for Microsoft Mobile or OSX and Linux to see big market share gains. Apple is happy to be 8% bringing in the money. If Apple with 8-10% market share can not get games launched on its platform what hope does Linux have with worse driver support and a at best 2% market share.

Best way to play Linux games is still to use a 980ti and throw Lots of performance at the problem.

The next big thing in tech will be VR without Apple saying it will do VR I do not expect OSX to get VR support.

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

To my knowledge apple haven't actively pursued gaming on their desktop OS. Their OS seems to be about creatives, some web developers and people that want something that's not windows that will do basic computing. Valve the biggest player in the PC gaming market has created its own Linux based operating system and is encouraging Linux ports and has ported its own full suite of games to Linux.

I'm not disagreeing with you as such, Linux will never see substantial AAA ports without a much more significant market share but its not just about market share its about marketing. If Apple actively pursued games and wanted to make its platform the windows gaming alternative it could probably do it, but it would mean making a gaming desktop or laptop plus paying publishers to make ports for those devices, which doesn't really seem like their thing. Their phone OS seems to be their gaming cash-cow to be honest.

Given further support from Valve and enough time Linux could probably over take the mac os in terms of number of available titles purely because Apple aren't that interested in that market. At the moment it seems very unlikely that Linux would overtake Windows on the gaming front.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sure it has, its gone down. ;)

That could be because there's no real alternative, there's nothing on the market that does things substantially differently, the same can't really be said of this new direction Microsoft is taking desktop PCs as it seems (to me) that their heading closer to the way Apple conducts themselves, while some people may prefer that business model its not for me, I've grown up being used to having some semblance of control over my own PC, if i wanted to cede control of my PC to a greater authority i would've bought a MAC. :baby:

4. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

I spent 10hrs on Christmas day getting my mother's relatively recently built Windows 7 x64 machine updated to Windows 10. She'd had the update for a while but every time she tried to update it errored.

Firstly the system reserved partition was too full. Look out up loads of people have that issue. Then I found that the SSD was very full and some files and folders were complies on the files system. On clearing some space and decompressing the files and folders the upstart still wouldn't work Sikh I eventually tracked down to being encrypted fonts that had been installed which had been sent over from a Mac OS X user.

I think that there might have been more issues over and above those which I fixed as I came across them but no amount of trying to shove the update down the throat of this machine was going to work without fixing all of those edge cases.

5. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I had no trouble upgrading on one system and doing a clean install on another. My only complaint with 10 is that after a few days to a couple of weeks up time I can't access the start menu, and to reboot I have to ctrl-alt-del.

I never liked that to install updates you have had to reboot, since at least 2000 (never got as far as a week or more up time before that).

6. Dan848

Dan848 What's a Dremel?

There are 5 current games that I know of that support or were patched for DX 12, and there are 7 games that are due to be released in 2016 and 2017 that support DX 12. One of the games due out this year is Star Citizen, a relatively complex game.

That number of games will not be enough to get me interested in DX 12, even though I have a DX 12 video card. Games will still support DX 9, 10 and 11 because so many people still use earlier versions of MS Windows.

Other than games, I have a lot of "old" software and I do not want to spend another $1,500 replacing it simply to get DX 12 ...

7. jeff_vs

jeff_vs What's a Dremel?

I will cling to Media Center until it literally will not run any more.