1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft announces 29th July Windows 10 launch date

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Jun 2015.

1. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

While I've opted in for the upgrade, I'll probably end up buying a copy. I like to have the security of being able to do a clean install incase of hardware failure or even to have a fresh OS.

I hope Microsoft clarify this soon...

2. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

It will be a nightmare for me as my system started as vista then an upgrade to 8.1. so if im reading this right and wanted a clean install I would have to start from vista. why cant they do a system that detects a previous os and offers the option of upgrade or clean install with 10.

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

In one respect it's a decent gesture from MS, but it's a limited one as well when it comes to reinstalling., plus the way most people on here chop and change hardware it could well prove to be a nightmare with a OEM licence. Which is what I reckon it will be.

One way around it I can think of is taking a disc image once you have installed everything, but even then, how will it affect the activation.

Maybe it will all become a bit clearer at launch, but for now it's all about as clear as mud.

But all that aside, I had W8 and hated it and went back to 7. W10 will have to be very good to tempt me away.

W7 is the new XP and MS know it.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I suppose you could do the most basic install of win 7 (ie no need for the updates) and then do the win 10 upgrade, presuming your upgrading from 7 that is.

A USB install of 7 takes less than 15mins.

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It will need to be SP1and fully updated from the bits I have read, same with W8, has to be 8.1

I'm desperately hoping I have got this one alll wrong lol

6. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I'm still using 7 quite happily but I'd be willing to give 10 a try. I'd want to install it on a new drive though, to preserve my 7 installation if possible so I can easily switch back to it if/when I need to.

This is going to be fun isn't it?