1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft Reader Activation (a bit of a rant here...)

Discussion in 'General' started by Yo-DUH_87, 5 Jan 2005.

1. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I have had my M$ Passport account for a couple years now, long enough for it to have seen 3 completely different systems and 2 different pocket pcs activated through it for M$ reader (the M$ ebook software).

That's all fine and good, until I'm forced to reload due to a hardware failure and guess what? I've run out of activations (you get 6 by default)

I click the button to send an request for more, and am immediately told that it was rejected. There is another button to send a complaint and additional request for more activations, which I used.

It's just plain stupid that M$ expects everyone to use their passport account like their personal idenity on the internet, but doesn't think you'll ever upgrade 6 times? Hello, are these people thinking? I have owned 4 different computers and 2 pocketpcs since I first got in to ebooks, and that's only a year or two. What would somebody like bigz who is constantly changing hardware around do?

I have started looking at alternative ebook providers, just because M$'s activation policies stink. Oh look, adobe has an ebook format! Guess what, you can't read it on handheld devices :(

Woe is me, now I will have to see if I can get all my ebooks transfered to a new passport account so that I can read them (thank goodness for amazon digital library)...

2. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

That sucks.. But I'm sure they will give you more activation's? Not?.. Don't know much about that.

But on a other note, How do you like reading books from handhelds? Or even a normal computer?

I still prefer a real book..

L

3. Yo-DUH_87

I prefer a real book, but I always carry my handheld around with me where ever I go. So when I'm on break at work, waiting at the doctor's office, etc. I can get a little reading in.

To be honest I hate reading books on my regular pc. Kind of pointless to be honest. PocketPC is acceptible, but convenience is the main factor here.

Was really trying to buy the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series, it's been on my 'to read' list for a year or so now. Looks like I'll just go buy a real book (instead of buying all 5-6 books seperately in ebook format at $9 a peice, I can go buy one book with all of the books in it for $14, talk about a deal). Besides, I somehow get the feeling that it isn't light reading you can do on a 15 minute coffee break :p

4. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

If you make it past the 4th one without getting bored shitless then you're doing well :D

Seriously, just read the first few and save yourself the disappointment ;)

Sam

5. Yo-DUH_87

Anything has to be better than all the classic literature crap I've been putting up with for quite a while ;)