1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft waves goodbye to FAT with exFAT deals

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Nov 2012.

1. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I really don't understand all the hate.

Microsoft makes something, wants to licence it out to make some "money". They're not forcing you to use it and even if they were, what difference would it make? As has already been mentioned, NTFS is proprietary we're (almost) all content with that.

Why do people act like Microsoft (et al) are anything other than businesses out to make a buck?

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

The hate comes from the fact that instead of creating a foundation where these companies(linux,apple,microsoft, openBSD et al) get together and try and create a universal standard for things like this, propriety standards are used to try and lock people in. Ultimately it just creates frustration when the end users end up with compatibility problems. Companies like Microsoft make billions in profit, instead of doing something that benefits all end users they just try and eke more out. If there were more players in the O/S scene than the big three moves like this would be a bloody nightmare.

impar likes this.
  3. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

THIS.

4. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

This is a non-issue, and we are all carrying on about nothing. exFAT will be no more an issue on Linux than FAT is now. There isn't much urgency to make a solution at the moment because no one is using exFAT yet. When people do, proper support will occur. If you NEED it now (why?) there are solutions (such FUSE or Tuxera) now.

And as to being a closed-source Microsoft file system, well so is NTFS and I bet most Linux users would format their large capacity USB drives with NTFS, if only because of the wide compatibility with systems.
    Is it ideal? No, an open solution would be best, but in the absence of a favoured implementation or a influential pushing supporter, exFAT may end up being it.
    The only issue you might have is the Microsoft Tax that is added to devices that support exFAT, and that has already been paid via licencing so...

Last edited: 8 Nov 2012
  5. ArthurB

ArthurB What's a Dremel?

Mac's have had NTFS *read* support for years so that should have worked. What I have sometimes found is that if you don't eject the HDD cleanly on Windows, OS X will often refuse to mount it. Running "chkdsk x: /f" from a Command Prompt usually fixes this issue.

If your HDD was formatted as exFAT you wouldn't have had this problem since OS X has supported exFAT since 10.6.5.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

WinFS please!

Oh, wait...

:naughty:

7. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

why don't everybody just use ext4 ?

8. fodder

fodder Minimodder

Oh great, back to the 1980's days of Macs and PCs not being able to share storage mediums. Mind you, most files are transferred online now, not discs.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Btrfs should be the future, but no, everyone keeps brewing up their own standards.

10. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Everyone in the EU reading this should explain to their MEPs that this is BAD for both the PC platform in general, and the EU specifically.

I am sure that the EU will smash this one way or another, no worries.

Enjoy the show.

11. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Microsoft cant really force exFat on you, but a gadget manufacturer using exFat on say an SD card could. Phones and cameras (video esp) being the prime suspects.

12. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Also not sure how, they are being a bussiness, makes it all ok

13. Panos

Panos Minimodder

When was the last time someone used FAT on Linux?
    I use ext2 since the 90s when Linux came out, ext3 later on, and the last 5 years ext4.

There are far superior techs out there

14. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Whenever someone plugged in a usb flash drive I suppose.

15. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

There are some free FAT/FAT32 formatting programs available if for some reason it can't be done with an OS :thumb:

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Me, last night when I had to format a USB stick as FAT32 so that I could transfer Puppy Linux Live to it in order to rescue my PC. Oh, and on the boot partition for my Raspberry Pi.

FAT32 does suck, but it's also pretty much universal when it comes to creating bootable USB drives. I've had a lot of trouble getting NTFS or EXT2/3/4 formatted USB drives to boot successfully - when I'm not using pre-built .IMG files and dd/Win32DiskImager, that is - but FAT32 usually works perfectly.

17. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I tried ext4 on a USB drive once - since then I have never used it again for that purpose. The problem isn't the filesystem - that bit is fine, if not better than FAT32. You hit problems with permissions - ext4 has filesystem permissions, so if you create a file on the ext4 drive as UID 1000 (the default Ubuntu first user UID) then try to go and read it where your UID is 1001 (a second user perhaps?) the filesystem will stop you. Across multiple computers, which is usually where USB drives are used, this becomes an even greater problem. If there was a way to disable filesystem permissions for ext4 then I would be using that... Of course, if there were a filesystem, completely opensource like the ext family, that specifically lacked permissions support (along with other things that are irrelevant on a USB drive, like 'aggressive' journalling) then USB drives would finally have a place in the Linux ecosystem.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's not a problem with ext4, that's a problem with not understanding how file permissions work. Each file or directory has three permissions: User, Group and Everyone. If you set a file to 700, the user will have full read, write and execute permission - but nobody else will. Set it to 770, and the user plus his or her group (typically 'users') will have full read, write and execute permission - but nobody else. Set it to 777, and the user, his or her group, and absolutely everyone capable of reading an ext4-formatted volume will have full read, write and execute permission.

You may notice that the latter option is functionally identical to your "way to disable filesystem permissions for ext4."

You can set these permissions on files manually ("chmod -R 777 *" for example), or you can set a 'create mask' at the point of mounting. Set the mask right, and you've basically got an ext4 volume with FAT32-like levels of security - i.e. none at all.

As for journalling, you can disable journalling altogether, or change how aggressive it is. Check the manpage for tune2fs for details.

19. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Ah, but the problem with chmod'ing is that you have to do that every time you write new files in, unless you have the fancy mounting options set. And for those fancy mounting options - it is not guaranteed that can be done to each computer that I may need to work with - on some of the computers I do not even have permissions to mount anything, and FUSE (or whatever the mounting backend is) does it automatically, which unfortunately doesn't have the option of changing those mount options.

Because of the inherent multiple computer problem, setting things that only affect the local computer (like mount options) are out of the question. Changing the permissions of my files every time I create a new file is a temporary solution, but the annoyance caused by forgetting to do that one time then being stuck without access to files for, say, a day, is frustrating to say the least. Until permissions can be turned off on the filesystem itself I can only stay productive while using FAT32, or exFAT once Linux FUSE modules come out.

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not true: you can set the default creation mask just by typing "umask" and the octal mask for the permissions you'd like to set.

Here, try it: grab a flash drive, format it as ext2/3/4 (whichever.) Create a file, check the file permissions - they're not what you're after, right? Type "umask 000" and create a second file. Check the permissions of *that* file.

The second file, you'll notice, has its permissions set such that anybody has read and write access to it. Every file you create from then on - in that session, naturally - will also have the same permissions, unless you manually override them. No need to set mount options, no need to change the permissions manually.
    Why would you be stuck without access to the files for a second, let alone a day? Just take ownership of the files: "chown yourusername *" Doesn't matter what the UID was, it'll reset it to your current UID. File permissions won't let you chown? "sudo chown yourusername *" There's no need to wait until you can go back to the computer that created the file and change the permissions!

Last edited: 16 Nov 2012