1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Microsoft Word 2013

Discussion in 'Software' started by Journeyer, 26 Jun 2014.

1. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I'm struggling to work out a bit of functionality in Word 2013 that I really think should be simple enough.

Say I have a standard formatted document that is intended to go out to a number of different recipients (companies). So, the main text of the document stays the same, but the names of the companies obviously change.

Now, what I would like to do, is to be able to insert a text-box into which I type the name of the Company (at the top to show who it is adressed to), and then have this name automatically appear throughout the document wherever the company is mentioned by name.

In other Words:

1. Type name of company into textbox A
    2. Name of Company automatically appears in Places B, C, D, E...

The question is; how do I do this?

Edit: I think I should be able to use fields (the {ref} Field seems useable) to do this, but they require manual updating to refresh the New input. I need a way to do this automatically.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2014
  2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Two words: Mail Merge

Problem Solved :D

3. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Yeah ... been considering that unless there is some way to get this done on-the-fly.
    The problem with mail merge is that it requires an already existing list of recipients. I do not have this, and they are subject to frequent change.

Edit: I figured it out. I ended up using { Set CompanyName { FillIn "Type Company name" } } for name, street and adress. Then I use { Title { Ref CompanyName } } for those values, and { Ref CompanyName } for all References to the company throughout the document. It does require me to manually update all Fields by ALT+a then F9 and then typing in the information once. The main point is; I only have to type the information once.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2014
  4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If you do a mail merge without a database for it to refer to, it will prompt you as it opens the document for the missing values. You type them in once, and it creates the doc. Voilà.

5. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Use quick parts / auto text. It gives you a field called company that updates automatically wherever you use the same field type. Works for dates, revision, author all sorts

6. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Ooh, did not know that. Will have to try this technique as well. Thanks. :)