1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft's Patch Tuesday roll-up crashes HP boxes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 12 Oct 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Oh so no major companies then... /sarcasm

Microsoft are on a roll aren't they? Next will be making people's PCs spontaneously combust with more botched updates...

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ah, the legendary HCF instruction...

MLyons likes this.
  4. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Whoever is in charge of Microsoft's Windows/patch division needs replacing ASAP. No doubt its a senior manager somewhere saying we need to roll this out NOW whilst engineers everywhere look at each other and say 'mmmm OK, if you insist.'

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

At least they're getting quicker in publishing details of the problem, this KB got published a few hours ago, apparently it's to do with the HP keyboard driver.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

TBF most OEM keyboard driver implementations are arse.

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

FTFY

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

FTFY

edzieba likes this.
  9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

so, everyone is mad at MS because OEMs can't/don't write drivers that aren't total crap...

...again

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I think everyone's mad at Microsoft because it apparently didn't bother to test the update on machines from... the world's largest manufacturer of personal computers as of 2017, says Wikipedia. (Yes, yes, it's only a subset of HP machines (and possibly others) affected, I know. Mind you, if a badly written keyboard driver can crash the entire operating system, then you've got bigger problems than the keyboard driver...)

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I had a Linux running 'top that would KP if you used the scroll strip to scroll down [but only down] on the touchpad... that was an HP too as it happens. I've also seen macs KP when you connected an iPod classic [yes it was a specific combo of mac and iPod models that it happened with, but it still happened] and you'd think Apple would test their own wares with their own wares. ...but this is a company that still supplies type-a connector cables for it's devices whilst selling laptops without any type-a ports.

12. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

The initial reports of this debacle has reminded me of Bungie's Myth II uninstaller bug. And there is a lesson there for Microsoft, delay release until the issue is fixed. With digital distribution the delay is no where as financially ruinous as recalling and replacing physical media.

Agreed but it is one thing to release a new OS and not support hacks and patches dating back to DOS, and another to release a mandatory patch that breaks existing drivers. The key here is the mandatory. If users were able to opt out the story would be very different.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not to defend baldly written drivers but from what i gather Microsoft pushed the driver onto HP machines, as they do for some driver updates, and then an update they also pushed out to customers caused problems with the driver they previously pushed out.

If you're going to push drivers onto machines you should at least test your pushed updates against those drivers.

MLyons likes this.
  14. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

It shouldn't affect my systems I setup, as they don't get these updates for 15 days (130days for "feature" upgrade builds) as every one els tests these versions for me before I get them (ms norm pulls them within 7 days to release the fixes one)

Tags: Add Tags