1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Midsummer Night's Dream

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by eddie_dane, 5 Nov 2009.

1. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Not exactly the photo-red-meat that women's volleyball was but I had fun shooting a play last night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rest are here

2. pullmyfoot

pullmyfoot superbacon

wow. those are really really nice. the lighting is insane. but I supose thats what you get in a good theatre

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

Awesome photos Chris! One of these days I'd like to be able to capture a decent portrait photo, but I think it's beyond me. :(

4. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I say that when I look at the landscape stuff you have been doing. I think it all depends on what you are interested in and what you focus your energies. Textbook portrait photography terrifies me, I have been forced to get into it lately and telling people what to do and how to pose is not my cup of tea, but I love the candid stuff.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yeah, I guess that's true - landscape photography generally has no major external hassles (apart from the weather!) and it generally relies on you being able to connect with your surroundings, telling a story in the process. I grew up on the edge of the Peak District national park, so I do have a love for great scenery - I guess I have a lot of energy for it in that respect, given that I now work in the city.

That said, there's an element of luck involved in landscaping - getting some really awesome shots doesn't just happen without a lot of perseverence, waiting around and disappointment. There are times I've come home with literally nothing... but that's the way it goes sometimes. It's part and parcel of landscape photography!

On the flipside, I guess portraits rely on the subject 'playing ball' and being able to capture the poses quickly. :)

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

That's precisely why I hate doing portraits. I'm just not a people-person, and I really don't like having to tell someone how to sit, where to look, and how to smile. For me, photography takes time, and I've yet to encounter someone with the patience to sit while I fiddle with different settings. I end up getting nervous, and my mind goes blank. It's only when I'm done that I suddenly realize where the key light should have been, and what pose I should have used.

It's also the inevitable follow-up question that I dread every time I meet somone. "Oh, you're a photographer. Cool, my daughter is looking for a photographer for her wedding next week"

That, and the usual question this time of year. "Oh, let's get the family together this Christmas. Monkey can take the photo, since he's the family photographer."

Yeah, that's like asking Ted, the family neurologist, to take a look at my gout. Hey, he graduated from medical school, right?

-monkey