1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mighty Morphin' Metal Rubber!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 14 May 2004.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

This from Gizmodo:

I want a trenchcoat made of this: nano-enabled "metal rubber", in the lab at NanoSonic Inc. Charged with electricity, it has the ability to shape-shift. That's right, they're talking about morphing.

Naturally it's being talked about as an application for military aircraft (booooring) and vaguely for biomedical use (ho hum) but what really excites me is the idea that it will inevitably invade consumer electronics... and fashion...

Brr, it's getting chilly - let me just lengthen my coat. Oh man, the future's so bright.

Link to the article at Gizmodo here, and to the full report at Nanotech Now here.

Hey Hex - Just think of some boots made of this! "Hmmm my boots aren't spikey enough [tappity tappity tap] - that's better!" ;)

2. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

as good as this is, it could send some businesses into bankrupcy. Some businesses depnd upon people buying everything because there slightly similar :)

however, i think its a great idea. :D:D

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I want colour morphing clothes.

4. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

god damn thats cool.

Imagine using it in a pc components? you could make the system fit into almost *anything* how cool would that be for a mini PC? you could get ti to fit into your old tamagotchi case, now that would be cool.

Last edited: 14 May 2004
  5. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

"i'm bored of this case."
    *plugs case into 230V national grid"
    "wey hey.beat that bit-tech.the completly random case"

6. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Ahhhh, it's the T1000!

7. Skaal-tel

Skaal-tel What's a Dremel?

hmmm far better possibilities reside in the use of a stretching conductive material to:

create self-healing wiring... exploding airplane? let it rebuild itself from the inside out!

ablative armour par excellence!

hmm

coool stuff! really sci-fi tastic :) combine it with that backpack walker thingy and and get yourself a muscley machine! :eeek:

Tags: Add Tags