1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mini-ITX Z77 motherboard previews

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 17 Apr 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I must admit, i'm seriously considering using either a Mini ITX or a M-ATX board for a new build i have in mind. While i love building rigs in vast cases, the small form factor just appeals.

Sam

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Given how hot Ivybridge appears to be running, an ITX motherboard (at least one without sufficient cooling) seems like a bad idea.

4. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I got really excited when I saw this and then opened it and noticed it said preview... :(

The ASRock is aesthetically the nicest looking board by far, I hope it performs well. Never having owned an ASRock board, I believe I read that you can have very good control over fans independently in the BIOS, which would be quite important to try and make the ITX as quiet as possible.

Can't wait to see reviews on these - I'm still yearning to shrink my computer down to ITX.

Now all I need is for someone to go ahead and start making some decent cases...

5. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Nice preview, too bad that only Zotac provides a full length mini-PCIe / mSATA slot in addition to the "classic" half-length mini-PCIe (often used for wifi). This full length slot could be nice to plug a mSATA SSD as OS disk, thus removing 2 wires and a full size disk (matching the idea of reduced size).

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

ASUS has FanXpert software :)

http://rog.asus.com/78012012/overclocking/discover-the-benefits-of-fan-xpert/

7. GuilleAcoustic

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

ASRock and Zotac are pointless if you want to use anything better than stock cooler and a graphics card in the PCI-E slot at the same time. Pretty much all coolers will block your PCI-E slot in this stupid default Intel layout (every H61, H67, Z68, H77 and Z77 mITX boards use that specific layout except three - Foxconn H61S, H67S and ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe) - CPU socket pushed next to the RAM modules and PCI-E slot.

Unfortunately, i am still waiting for P8Z77-I Deluxe to be released :waah:.

9. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

What?

I say again... what?!

Try installing any decent HTPC / low profile cooler on that Asus, I dare you. The ASRock can fit a Thermalright AXP-140 FFS. That's a monster sized cooler.

Or do you expect to overclock an Ivy Bridge on that Asus using nothing but the stock cooler? Or a pathetic Kozuti or 1U cooler?

10. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

brumgrunt, thanks for the link. :thumb:

Great preview, look tempting but I find myself looking towards the Asrock and Zotac for some reason, prefer the darker PCB personally.

11. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Seriously, why are board manufactures still installing PS2 ports?

Sam

12. faugusztin

I plan using NH-L12, which will fit.

Looking at the pictures when it is installed on a H55 board with similar layout, AXP-140 is actually an exception which should be fine with that socket placement, compared to pretty much all other coolers which are blocking the PCI-E slot with that socket placement.

The issue with AXP-140 is that it has it is the typical Thermalright availability (pretty bad sometimes) and price - NH-L12 with one 12cm and one 9.2cm fan is 49 euros, while AXP-140 with no fans is 60-70 euros. And that price makes AXP-140 pretty much pointless, you can buy Corsair H60 for that price.

13. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

I have a Zalman CNPS10X on my Gigabyte H55 mitx board, clears the PCI-E slot by 10mm. These look almost identical in layout to me.

HTH

dunx

P.S. It also fitted my Zotac H55 mitx board as well !

14. GuilleAcoustic

A Noctua NH-U9B SE2 should be OK too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

As long as Thermalright commits to the standard Intel keep-out area it will fit perfectly. The ASUS VRM daughterboard is 100% within Intel socket specification.

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Apr 2012
  16. faugusztin

Not if you have the PSU directly above the cpu cooler :). NH-U9B is 125mm high, max CPU cooler height for PC-Q08 is 110mm. As i said before, for nearly all low profile coolers the socket placement is an issue, except the 3 board i mentioned.

17. GuilleAcoustic

Depends on the case then :D ... I think there's no magic recipes when talking about ITX and SFF. You really have to carefully choose all components, but that's what it really interesting with those builds.

18. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Ahh good shout, although I'm pretty certain I read that people with the Gene-Z couldn't out their fans down past 60% or something? I may be mistaken however. Still doesn't change the fact that I don't like the old school blue on that board! :p

Corsair Hydro / Antec Kuhler? Not all ITX cases will house these (or rather cater for a 120mm exhaust).

19. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Have to say that even though I own the Zotac Z68 ITX board, and built a custom waterblock for it, I'm seriously considering getting the Asus board at some point!

20. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

My next build I was hoping to do an itx gaming rig. Biggest issue I'm finding is space for cooling and psu. May have to bump up to matx but its aimed at LAN parties and taking up as little desk space as possible. Would rather have other things under my desk like storage than my case.

Tags: Add Tags