1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mirror trick leads electronic-paper chase

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 25 Feb 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

New Scientist reports on an interesting use of an existing technology to make an emerging technology better:

A TECHNIQUE originally used to cut headlight glare in cars' rear-view mirrors has been adapted to create a new "electronic paper" display for MP3 players and mobile phones. Called a NanoChromic display, or NCD, it was shown operating on a converted iPod by Dublin-based company Ntera at the DEMO@15 technology show in Scottsdale, Arizona, last week.

Unlike LCDs, electronic paper displays can be viewed from almost any angle and in a wide range of lighting conditions, much like paper itself. Another key characteristic is that they require very little, if any, power to maintain an unchanging image.

More here

2. Uber_K

Uber_K What's a Dremel?

That sounds really cool, and it seems like it would be fairly inexpensive. What would the modding world be like if everyone got their hands on a few yards of that stuff? I can only imagine...

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Sweet. Now my dad can stop complaining about the God-awful contrast on his cell (wait, what, you wanted to see it during the day?)

4. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Cool, but not perfect. I was hoping that they would have a picture of that hacked iPod.

If anyone finds a picture please post a link? Thanks. (I will look when I have a little bit of time.)

5. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Tags: Add Tags