1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mirror's Edge PC delay down to PhysX

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 20 Nov 2008.

1. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Yeah, they should have went with Havok.

2. death_munky

death_munky F*** the dremel, i'll use my teeth

It's good timing for me as I'm about to build a cheap SLI rig which will handle PhysX alot better than if it was software based physics because I can't afford a whiz-bang Core2Quad at the moment to run it, but can afford to add another Geforce 9xxx?? alongside my 9600GT

</tangent>

The only games where you really should require patches are those with a good mulitplayer, as this game is focused on the singleplayer side of thisngs i would prefer it to come out swinging away with all it's features rather than buy something now that you know isn't finished

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

youtube video looks schweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

4. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Why not havok! why!

I really dont like proprietary software. Surely it would make more sense to support everyone. I appreciate that a large user base has a 8xxx, 9xxx or 2xx card but theres still a larger number of users that have a CPU :p

Makes even more sense to go Havok with the 4800s being so popular. What if ATI pull a 8xxx series popularity and nVidia users are in the minority. We all lose support :(

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

probably because havok costs to use and physx was free since ageia days and nothing has changed with Nvidia. Physx does work on CPU just not as quickly.

6. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

That's just wrong. I have to wait longer for them to patch something I won't be able to use... brilliant -.-

7. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

There's no mention about support for Ageia based PhysX.... I have a Cuda enabled 8800GTX but If I have both (which I do) will there be any performance advantage?

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I don't see why the Physx support would not still be equally usable on the old Ageia card as I don't think Nvidia have added an GPU specific stuff as part of their take over but instead just accelerate the Physx middleware stuff on the GPU, that same software is still accelerated on the P1.

Mirrors edge is on UT3 engine so I'd imagine the physx software they'd be using wouldn't be much advanced than whast already out there.

Time will tell though I guess, there was an GPU PPU comparison online

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/physx_performance_update/

PPU still seems handy but i guess it all depends on how taxing Mirror edge is on GPU as to wether its worth using at all.

9. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Would an 8400GS in a PCI-E 1x slot work just as well as the old dedicated PPU? Cause that's about $40NZ, which is almost worth it for an ATI user I imagine. Suppose it depends on how many games get Ageia physics.

10. Burnin'

Burnin' FPS gamer

Cry babies!...

There are A LOT of good games out there this season. Move on!
    You know how EA handles everything...SSSSLLLLOOOOOOOWWWWWWLLLLYYYYY and you can add more characters to that if nVidia is slowing does the process too

I played the demo on the PS3 and definitively the PC physx-enhanced version looks way better! Let them get it right before the release. For me is better if they deliver a polished product than just waiting for a patch for you to play the game ALL OVER AGAIN.... Completely ruining the immersion and the excitement of the first run!

Take Far Cry 2 for example. I have the game still in the box and I won't play it until Ubisoft fix the crippled FoV on widescreens displays. Playing the game like that would've ruin my whole experience (like it happened with Bioshock the first time). Now I have to either wait for the official patch or use the FoV hack that's out there

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

wait Intel bought havok and stated that it was free to use with distributors and competitors a like, I didnt read anything about them charging unless that was really recent, I could swear it was PhysX that was charged for in order to use, I mean really since when did nVidia ever do anything for anyone free of charge lol.

Devs should focus on Havok more anyways as its in my opinion a better platform.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yes, just looked and see that Intel did make it free, still doesn't matter, its not being used.

13. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Yay, another Nvidia tech demo... wonder if it will include DX10.1? probably not.

14. maha_x

maha_x What's a Dremel?

Gimicky..

Why not just hand animate few variants of breaking cloth and run them as static animations? Most of the time this would immerse enough. Now I would like to see some real applications, like a whole forest wave in the wind down to the smallest patch of grass. Or large water simulations, hatches releasing water from roof etc. Rain even. Give me something ... more concrete!

Tags: Add Tags