1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows [MMO] Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by deathtaker27, 19 Mar 2012.

1. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I did, what you said is totally meaningless without knowing the context. How much bag space do you get unless you pay for a new bag? How much of a hassle is it to bank unless you pay for portal potions? How long is it going to take if you dont buy XP boosts? How much of an advantage do Karma boosts give? How much of a chore is crafting without paying for the crafting boosts?

And if you decide to not pay real money and buy it all with gold instead, then how much of a grind is it to get gold? We could be rich or broke depending on how much gold we get.

2. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

At level 10 you get ~14-28exp for a level 8-12 mob. Add onto that the exp boost and you're still only getting 20-40exp a mob and when you need 12000+ exp to level it's hardly a bonus. You only get good exp from DE, which the exp boost doesn't effect. Is it really worth paying £5+ for a one hour buff to such a small amount, no.

Vendors sell bags, the higher level areas have bigger bags ofcourse and you get bags as rewards in the game also. You'll never be low on bag space unless you decide to never ever purchase bigger ones from the vendors or auction house.

There's vendors/banks/repair guys in every town if you control it aswell as the major cities, with instance travel to any waypoint it's hardly a "hassle" to get there if you need to.

You get more Karma from higher level events ofcourse at low level you don't get much only ~20 for gold level in an event, so add on 20% and you've got 24, again hardly a bonus to me, I'd rather spend another 5mins on an event than pay £5+ for a one hour boost to it.

The one most are actually complaining about is the magic find boost, which is meant to increase your chance for rare loot but I've had plently of weapons/armour, craft material etc to not think I'd even need a boost. I had almost every weapon I could use on my Warrior by level 8 just from looting everything.

Crafting isn't a chour in this game, it's not like WoW/Rift where you have to craft X amount of useless items until you have enough skill points to unlock something new, you can craft whatever you want in GW2, you can mix and match craft items to see what happens also to learn new patterns.

You've nothing to be sceptical about, gear and level aren't a factor in GW2 so you'll nver see anyone with a gear advantage. Anet weren't even going to put levels in-game originally but people need a sense of accomplishment, which doesn't happen very well without them, since there's no gear treadmill.

rogerrabbits likes this.
  3. rogerrabbits

That sounds pretty promising then, thanks for the info.

4. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Thinking about gear advantage there will be those that completed Hall of Monuments to get access to loads of items to use straight away and there will be new people who haven't and those like me that stopped playing for ages so will not have completed it. I have 20 odd points in HoM and could go to get more but haven't bothered.

5. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

It's not that much of an advantage. Those weapons and armour are more for unique skins than anything else.

6. rogerrabbits

Wish I could get in the beta. Watching the videos on youtube have me drooling.

7. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

This game is going to cost me soo much, I need to upgrade my bro's pc so that he can play, and get 2 copies of the game. But I know I will love it :D

8. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

As soon as you are able to pre-order I am so total there :)

Fed up of WoW, Rift was OK but boring and SWTOR please I don't want to play with little light-sabers im not 4.

9. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

For those wondering about how well GW2 performs on machines I tested it on both of mine during the weekend.

i5 760@2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 4850 512mb on 1366x768 maxed out totally never dropping below 24fps in large scale events and 16man PvP battles.

The rig in my sig on 1680x1050 everything on ultra except for shadows which I had on fair and terrain on high. Never dropped below 22fps in large events and 16man PvP battles.

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I was thinking of skipping this game.. seriously- and I'm a old gw1 player too

but they are putting gems in that sell for gold.. so anyone can just go gem crazy on the shop and have unlimited amounts of gold.. inflation and of course wealth will mean nothing- it's a classic money grab by anet/ncsoft =|

but knowing me.. I'll buy 2 copies (like an idiot)

11. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Having played the beta, i am going to buy the game.

If it was subscription based it would be a no go for me, but tbh I really loved the pve, dynamic quests and the overall atmosphere of the game. I was levelling 2 characters during the weekend, one lvl 14 engineer and a lvl 4 necromancer. they were different races, and both of their stories were really immersive and I enjoyed the progression through the world.

12. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Nothing in the online store gives an advantage besides something barely noticeable, so you don't have to spend money to keep up, with the scaling system etc, you don't need to buy the exp boosts to catch up to a friend since they can scale you up to their level anyway.

Even the Character Slots are available for gems it seems which means you can get them for in-game gold off other players with gems.

Also all the bonus items like +exp, +craft, + loot etc you're able to get from quest rewards. :)

The item shop is actually a really good idea the way they've done it. Even more so since you don't >need< to buy anything.

If you enjoy playing in the PvE side of things you'll love the world anyway, it actually feels alive compared to other MMO's since no matter what the events go on with or without you and other players, the events just chain off one another aswell.
    I'd recommend people watch TotalBiscuits video on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8-9VEvAmFg&feature=relmfu
    From a Theif PoV he shows off how some of the Dynamic Events work and how they chain off each other. It was a live commentary so it's his hands on opinion.

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

hey king.. did you get to visit any places underwater? I would have went strait to bubbles the dragon under what used to be olafstead.. I just want to hang out by the krakken and release him on the first group of choobies that make it there..

find any way to grief players? like can you train a bunch of mobs and while in tow- logout right on top of a guy.. then log back in to see him dead from the butt whoop :D

ah yeah that's the way they explained it.. but hard to believe smelly- unless karma is the only currency you need to buy non tradeable rares.. then begs to ask if money can buy karma- if it can- back in the same loop.. gem buyers can buy their way to anything

14. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

So far, Karma is not available for money and neither is Glory (PvP currency). I would be royally pissed if either of those come up in the store as I'm sure many others would be.

I really doubt they'd add either, as that would be a huge advantage for money spenders.

I'm only really considering Character Slots if I ever need them. Everything else is in-game (Exp bonus etc give you a barely noticeable bonus) or not needed.

15. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Ha! I haven't been looking for ways to grief in gw2 just yet as eve gives me all the sociopathic satisfaction one person can handle at any one time.

Yeah I went for a bit of explore underwater where the manbears are, it was pretty intense because all the mobs were like 7-8 levels above me, perhaps I should have helped farmer dobbins feed his cows or something w/e but I just enjoyed the story too much