1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Mobo control of CPU cooling.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by malbluff, 28 Jul 2012.

1. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

Am planning to use i7-3770K, with Asus P8z77-V pro. The mobo provides PWM control for four case fans, and ONE CPU fan. I want to be able to overclock, to around 4.4GHz, but most decent coolers, air or liquid, utilise dual fans. Is there any way I can control them, from mobo. I realise I could add seperate control, but seems a shame not to use mobo's facilities, plus, presumably, mobo control would be more responsive, to changes in CPU conditions, than any remote control can be. Any advice on best way to do this would be much appreciated.

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Grab a PWM splitter cable. It's what I used for the two 140mms on my Thermalright Archon before I got this motherboard. My Gigabyte worked fine with having two fans run off the same header.

The splitter cables are roughly £3 a pop, so don't chain too many fans together and you'll be fine.

3. glendronach

glendronach What's a Dremel?

Doesn't the P8Z77-V Pro have two PWM cpu fan headers?

4. malbluff

Thanks for that, you are right. I need some new glasses. It lists 1x CPU fan header, 4x chassis fan headers, but also an additional "optional" header, which I take it means that can be set up as either CPU, or chassis. Problem solved, I think!

5. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

1 x CPU Fan connector(s)
    4 x Chassis Fan connector(s)

6. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

7. glendronach

glendronach What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 28 Jul 2012
  8. malbluff

I'm glad I'm not the only one to be slightly confused, by the spec. I think, however, Glendronach is correct. There is an additional header, listed as "optional", which I had assumed was for a chassis fan. In the spec of other boards, in the range, it's listed below the CPU fan header, which makes it sound as if it's for an additional CPU fan, it's just the way it's listed in the V PRO spec, that's a bit confusion (anyway, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.)