1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobo/Video Card Nooblar Question...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dark_Blender, 27 Aug 2003.

1. Dark_Blender

Dark_Blender What's a Dremel?

WEll currently Im only running a 1.4GHz duron in my puter with a Geforce4 ti4400 Video Card and someone told me my processor is not allowing the card to work anywhere near its full potential... Is this correct and what would I need to get at my "full potential" for my video card?

2. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

1 ghz is near full for a geforce 4 so you should be safe. your running a duron so i dont know if that will affect it. try to buy the best processor your board handles because they shouldnt cost a arm and a leg like a new HT P4 3.2ghz

3. Dark_Blender

Dark_Blender What's a Dremel?

Well the Mobo I sport is some POS I got off ebay years ago that only supports up to a 1.5 GHz... Looking to upgrade to a Better Mobo that also supports Athlon XP for future upgrades

4. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

well not much room to to grow. wait a month and the new prescott will be here and that will make everything else drop in price.

5. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

If you are running SDRAM on that board then yes you are deffinately not getting max potential from your GFX card. An upgrade of mobo and ram alone will probably benifit you alot. But you will see a masive increase if you upgade to a 333 processor also like the XP2500+.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Just get a cheap KT400a or KT600 board and a 1700/1800XP and oc it as much as possible with some decent DDR. All in all its like £130 if u look in the right places.

7. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

No cheap nvidia 400s can be had for about £40-45 so go for a mobo with that chipset.

8. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

I would say a 1Ghz cpu is still the limiting factor for even a Geforce 4 personally :) but as stated, a better motherboard and cpu would certainly help get the best out of the card...

9. herbs

On 3dmark 2001se (I know not the best benchmark) I had a amd 1800+ with a TI4200 and got a score of 10500 ish, with a 2000+ (oc buy about 150) I get over 11600 so a 1ghz is not near full for a geforce 4 if a 133mhz speed increase does that. I would agree with Will on this one.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

well even better then :)

11. olv

olv he's so bright

I used to have a Duron 1ghz and that could no where near get the full potential out of my Geforce3 Ti200 (which is pretty much a Geforce2 GTS) so i would say your gfx has **** loads more to give which you'll only get from a cpu/mobo/mem upgrade.

For £125 you could get:

AMD AthlonXP 1800+ about £40
    Asus A7V8X-X about £50
    256Mb TwinMOS DDR PC2700 about £35

12. herbs

LOL a geforce3 200 is a different beast to a geforce 2 GTS.

13. Rav

Rav What's a Dremel?

Personally i would disagree, but it all depends on what you're using it for. Something easy on the CPU, or a bit out of date and a faster CPU wouldn't be needed, whereas a game that's a bit more CPU dependant (say IL2:FB) and you really want the fastest CPU you can get.

14. olv

olv he's so bright

No i thought that aswell, yes it is better then a GeForce2 because it has that GeForce 3 core but i can remember reading that the GF3 Ti200 is only about as powerful as the most powerful GeForce 2. The normal Geforce 3 and Ti500 are far more powerful but i think ti200 isn't that great. i dont particularly mind as the only game i play is CS until HL2 and then it might be time to finally upgrade :naughty:

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

*hiss*

I have the standard (non deluxe and non-X) version of this board; it's pretty crappy then, i looked at what they've done to it now and it's pure s**t - only buy one if you've been left wiht no other option...

16. olv

olv he's so bright

well i got one for my sister a month or two ago and its superb. its fast, stable and can take her xp1700 over 2.2ghz at 200+ fsb. for the price i cant say enough good things about it

17. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

The fastest GeForce2 was the Ultra, not the GTS ;)

Sorry for the continuation of the off-topicness.

18. olv

olv he's so bright

yeah, thats the one i am on about, (i'm pretty crap with graphics cards)

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Granted it's not a bad overclocking board; but i'm talking about features and quality of features; this branch of boards are fairly crappy for that IMO. e.g the sound chipset for this MoBo is completely knackered after only about a month's use with no dodgy connections or extra-warranty circumstances going happening to it (like a screw being dropped on the MoBo)... which was fairly poor seenas this board cost me about 100 notes new in november. Just little things give the impression of naff MoBo's to me... Good luck to your sister anyway :thumb:

20. herbs

Yes the geforce 3 200 is not as powerful as the normal version or the 500, but the geforce 3 200 has many features that the gf2 (any version) hasn't got. Read this http://www.evil3d.net/reviews/gfx/vtgf3ti/?page=12.php3