1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress MOD04 - PARVUM X1.0 VEER

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MODZERO, 14 Oct 2014.

1. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

[​IMG]

MOD04 - HACKJOE

Hello everyone, I'm finally doing a build log. Some of you may have seen my WCFT03 build, I've had the case for years and it's seen many makeovers. At the end of next month I'll be attending Insomnia 53 in Coventry. It'll be my 8th iSeries LAN event and for the last seven I've gingerly loaded my FT03 into the car and driven like an 83 year old woman on her way home from church for fear of the slightest bump breaking a hip causing some unwished damage.

Well no more, I'm building myself a LAN rig.:rock:

At home it'll serve as my media server and 'pretty to look at object of glory'. At LAN, replace 'media server' with bringer of digital death (mostly my own, not sure why I game, I'm crap at it! haha)!

I've set myself a firm budget and quite a short time period to complete it. After first seeing the Parvum S1.0 back at i42, catching up with the Parvum boys quickly became a highlight at each event (You gotta see Magnus in the flesh!). At last the opportunity has presented itself and the PARVUM ITX (WC version) is my case of choice.

[​IMG]
    Black on black with some tasty inlay additions.​

SPECS:

• Intel Core i7-4790K
    • Asus Maximus VII Impact Intel Z97
    • Kingston HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) 2400MHz
    • Inno3D GeForce GTX 980
    • Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB
    • Corsair RM Series RM 650

I had every intention of buying the i5 4690k and a GTX970.. But I got a little over excited and rather then order the parts online, I jumped in my car drove a couple hours over to OCUK, slapped my card on the table and proceeded to throw 'intent' to the wind, allowing child like giddiness to take control... Oops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Parvum kindly sent me over the top image (render) and fingers crossed the case gets cut and shipped out to me later in the week.

Once the case arrives I'll assemble and begin to plan the loop, current frame of mind is EK PA series 240mm and 120mm RADS, EK FC980 block on the GPU and EK-FB ASUS M6I block on the Impact VII. Rigid 10/12 tubing from E22 and BP fittings all round. Nickel Plexi blocks, nickel fittings and maybe Black coolant. However any of that could change, it's a build log after all, I appreciate your suggestions and cherish any/all feedback along the way.

I'm going to use minimal lighting using only the LEDs in the blocks, Pump Top and Res (if i find one that take some LEDs) to provide illumination. It's a small build and I'm aiming for clean lines and the illusion of space...

[​IMG]
    Then I got bored looking at the boxes, so built the rig on the test bench and got the OS up and running.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thought I'd see how the MOD04s 4790k/GTX980 @ stock held itself against the WCFT03s 2600k/GTXTITAN @ stock in a couple benchmarks.

I ran 3DMARK Fire Strike and Unigine Valley.. @ 1080p using the same preset (whatever that was).

[​IMG]

LEFT - 11332 4790k/980 RIGHT - 9333 2600k/Titan

In Valley the 980 beat the Titan by 3 points... yup, 3. 2774 to 2771. I didn't transfer the photo (and I've just noticed that photobucket has resized all these images.. bugger).

Thats all for now, more when the case arrives.

J.

Last edited: 19 Feb 2015
  2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

That's a handsome take on the Parvum ITX you have lined up, the stealth/ninja colour scheme.
    With the base rig pre tested, you should be fine for the end of the month, Parvums go together pretty rapidly - just the WC kit to sort.
    Watching with interest - Good luck with your build

3. Concept73

Concept73 Wannabe modder.

Definitely looking like a promising build!

And as I know you, this will be a lovely clean build, just keep it subtle and clean and will be all good in my books ;)

Can't wait to see more updates!

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I approve of the black-on-black scheme with black coolant on nickel blocks and minimal LED lighting. Go for cool white. Less is more. :thumb:

5. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

You gonna hack it up Joe? (Sorry :hehe:)

Looking forward to this, like the colour combo you're thinking of, different and minimal lighting's good IMO.

6. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Yeah, I've not seen an all black Parvum yet. Plus I want it to look right at home sat next to the FT03. Haha, its a shite name huh... I had a MacPro I modded and ran OSX86, it was a Hack, Mac, Joe, Pro... then it stuck.

Thanks, Good idea on the cool white, I was leaning with 'Bright White' i felt I'd need the extra light.. I'll pick up both and see they compare.

Thanks buddy, for a fleeting moment I considered pink coolant.. ;).

I hope so, I've got a few loop ideas, will have to wait on the case before I can really pull the trigger on any the hardware.

J.

7. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

UPDATE 1:

Rads, Res, Pump top, Fans, GPU block and backplate are here so time for an update.

[​IMG]

PARTS:

• EK - CoolStream PE 120
    • EK - CoolStream PE 240
    • EK - FC980 GTX Nickel Plexi
    • EK - FC980 GTX Backplate Nickel
    • EK - DDC Heatsink Housing Nickel
    • BP - Dual / Single DDC Top Upgrade Kit 80 (Clear Acrylic Cap)
    • BP - DDC TOP Acrylic
    • BP - Water Tank Z-CAP II - Three Port End Cap Plexi
    • BP - G1/4" Silver Shining Anti-Cyclone Adapter
    • 3x Parvum Systems F1.0 500-1500 PWM 120mm Fans

The Bitspower parts have come over from Dazmode in Canada, couldn't find them in the UK and Daz has been an absolute pleasure to deal with. I placed my first order at something like 2-3am after finally finding a store that stocked the BP parts I wanted. Shipping was cheap enough and it took less than a week to turn up at my door, no import taxes, no fuss.

I'll be ordering all my BP fittings from Dazmode, I can't speak highly enough of them. Great customer service.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I swapped out the lid for the Water Tank Z-CAP II to give me more options once fitted, I've got a clever pump mount idea in mind and the three ports will allow for better compatibility.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Really happy with the block, I've not used plexi blocks in years. Hoping there is enough room to show it off inside the case.

[​IMG]

Went with a Nickel backplate, a first for me. Idea being it'll bounce more light around the case from the few 3-5mm LEDs I intend to use.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EK's cost effective PA range, I like the design think they'll look great in the Parvum.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Parvum Systems new F1.0 120mm PWM 500-1500rpm fans, kindly supplied by the Parvum boys. These fans look great, they have a soft touch rubber feel to the housing and the construction seems very solid. Very excited to get these fitted. I'm hoping the white internal rim will provide a subtle touch of color when looking at the front of the case.

Well, thats it for now. The case has landed and I'm over the moon with the inlay work. I'll assemble it tonight and share tomorrow.

Thanks for checking out the update.

J.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Oct 2014
  8. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

UPDATE 2:

I assembled the case last night, took a few shots today, what do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The inlays are flawless, those Parvum lads do good work! I need to take some better shots but the light today wasnt great. I'm no photographer, just use the floor next to the window in my office. Would like to pick up a big background sheet and a couple lights at some point..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to strip down my GPU and test fit the hardware to better visualize the loop. My initial loop plan isn't looking possible anymore so I'll share some shots once the board and GPU are in see what you think.

J.​

Last edited: 29 Oct 2014
  9. DBRichard

DBRichard What's a Dremel?

Hope to see you at i53 :)

10. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Fingers crossed it will be.

J.

11. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

UPDATE 3:

I missed the delivery from SpecialTech, so no pump, impact block and 80mm fan for me until I'm back in the country a week from now. I went ahead and put the hardware in the case using an old 80mm fan to mock up the pump/res mount (not fully secured in place so the res is at a slight angle in the shots below).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[quote name="imersa" url="/t/1519169/build-log-mod04-parvum-itx-wc/20#post_23079791"]Now I just wana see moar. Please be sure to show off the new testing back system :)[/quote]

Check this out, Parvum trialled a new GPU mount system with this case, it's a toolless process that locks the GPU PCI bracket between the two rear layers of the case. It was really simple to fit and provides plenty of support. The outer rear layer can be removed at any time without needing to remove any other hardware first. It makes a lot of sense of their ITX cases, with just the one expansion slot this approach is faultless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the Nvidia Claw inlay being on the bottom panel I don't want to foul it by mounting the pump beside the front rad. I asked for a DDC to 80mm mounting plate and the Parvum guys came up with this.

[​IMG]

The design matches the case grills perfectly whilst the DDC heatsink uses rubber mounts that allows better clearance and should isolate vibration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm using the 80mm BP RES which when fitted makes the res/top/pump/fan assembly line up with the end of the motherboard. There's enough room to go with a 100mm or even the 150mm RES. I've made use of an old NoiseBlocker fan to mock fit the assembly so in these photos there is no pump in that heatsink and only two screws holding it in place (causing the angle you can see). I would have stuck with the NB fans but the rubber mounts mean the RES/Pump can wiggle more than I'd like.

I've ordered a BeQuiet 80mm Silent Wings fan as it's solid frame will provide much better support.

[​IMG]

I'm currently planning out the loop which is turning into a headache. I want to use hardline tubing as it'll be a first for me and don't really want to bend it. I'm looking at Bitspower Enhance fittings and the basket is getting expensive. I don't want to mix and match brands on fittings and no other company offers female-female 90' adapters (am I wrong?). To route my loop in nice clean straight lines is going to require upwards of 25 90' angle fittings.

I'm away for a week now and will give it some thought, if any of you have any loop ideas I'm all ears.

Thanks for check out the update.

J.​

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I've done a jizzle in my nerd pants.

13. andrewadanza

andrewadanza What's a Dremel?

14. andrewadanza

andrewadanza What's a Dremel?

15. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Cheers fellas, I've just returned from Amsterdam. Turns out my Dazmode order has been held by customs! Hoping I'll get a letter through on Monday to pick it up. Pexon are providing all cable magic which will be here early next week and E22 order should be here Mon/Tue with tubing and bits.

J.

16. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

UPDATE 4:

Things are starting to fall into place, Dazmode supplied fittings turned up Monday (after a small import tax payment). Then two fittings I'd forgotten arrived today from HighFlow.nl. The E22 supplied tubing and sleeving (for fans and IO) should be here tomorrow as should the PSU braids provided by Pexon PCs.

PARTS UPDATE:

• Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2 80mm PWM
    • Laing DDC Pump 12v DDC-1T Plus PWM
    • EK FB Asus M6I - Nickel Plexi

FITTINGS:

8 x Bitspower Silver Shining Enhance Rotary 90-Degree Multi-Link Adapter (BP-E90RML)
    13 x Bitspower Silver Shining Enhance 90-Degree Dual Multi-Link Adapter (BP-E90DML)
    2 x Bitspower G 1/4 Enhanced Multi-Link Adapter - 12mm OD (BP-EML)
    4 x Bitspower Silver Stop Plug - Screw Fitting (BP-WTP-C06)
    1 x Bispower Clear Stop Plug Fitting - G1/4" with 5mm LED hole (BP-ACSTI-BK)
    1 x Bispower Stop Plug Fitting - G1/4" Silver Shining w/ Slot (BP-WTP-C09)
    1 x Bitspower Rotary Fitting "T" - 180 Degree - shiny silver (BP-TR-C)
    1 x Bitspower G1/4" Silver Shining Anti-Cyclone Adapter (BP-WTP-C46)
    1 x Bitspower G1/4" Silver Shining Aqua-Pipe I Fitting (BP-WTP-C17)​

[​IMG]

Trying to visualize how the loop would fit has been a pain. Before I had to blocks fitted I thought I had a loop in mind and ordered the fittings. After I fitted the blocks it appeared my initial loop design wouldn't work. Luckily the new loop is cleaner with less angles and doesn't require all the fittings I bought. I didnt want to do any tube bending instead wanting straight lines with clean turns. It does mean using a fair amount of 90' fittings but it's a small loop in a tight space, I'm sure my flow rate will be fine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Happy the Impact 6 block fitted the Impact 7 with no problems.

[​IMG]

Coolant has been ordered, with a little luck I may get this completed at the weekend.

[​IMG]

Thanks for checking out the update.

J.​

Last edited: 12 Nov 2014
  17. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

UPDATE 5:

With i53 only 48 hours away the pressure has been tuned up. I had a few delays with cables which slowed progress some, but since Friday I've worked on it a lot. So much so I got through all four seasons of Game of Thrones, haha.

The loop is done, I've a new found appreciation for all of you that have built with hard tubing. It's no easy task, getting clean, straight cuts was my first hurdle. I came back from the hardware store with five different saws and found the cheapest one (a simple junior hacksaw) did the best job. I made a simple jig to hold the tube and used some heatshink as a sleeve to protect the lengths from marks and scratches, masking tape to mark out the cut and a lot of grit paper to chamfer the edges.

[​IMG]

It's a tiny case, so fitting to loop was a challenge. The Parvum modular design is a true gift when working in small spaces. Being able to remove the right and top panel made this possible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well thats the loop, What do you think?

Leak testing...

[​IMG]

Thanks for checking it out, please, share your thoughts below.

J.​

18. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

UPDATE 6:

I'm back from Insomnia 53, winter LAN is the smaller of the three yearly LAN events held by mulitiplay with around 1300 BYOC gamers. MOD04 went down well and pulled a lot of interest from fellow lanners and exhibitors that came up to the gaming halls to check out the action.

The case travelled well and performed solid over the five days. Friday/Saturday saw the BYOC halls get really warm I left the side panel on while there and the GPU temps never topped 55'c. At home with the side off under prolonged load they topped out at 37'c! (granted it's winter and my office is a little chilly).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OCUK came and took some photos along with a few other sites and reps (whomever they were) so fingers crossed they'll start popping up soon enough.

Now I'm home, I've cleared away all the mess from the build process and took a few shots of it on my desk. I'm sorry they are not better. I'm really proud of it, I hope you like it too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So thats it folks, I've really enjoyed building it, massive thankyou to PARVUM SYSTEMS for their support I highly recommend their products. Thanks to Dazmode for their truly awesome customer support, there'd be no fittings in MOD04 if it weren't for them and lastly thanks to EKWB, BitsPower,
    Asus, Inno3D and Kingston for producing such great products.

Hope to be doing another build after christmas. Please share your thoughts any/all feedback is always helpful.

J.​

Last edited: 25 Nov 2014
  19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Super tidy. The black coolant is awesome.

20. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Wickedness.

Really fast worklog too.