1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Apple Xserve RAID

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xserveraid, 5 Nov 2018.

1. Xserveraid

Xserveraid What's a Dremel?

Good Morning all
    I am new to the forum and looking for some ideas/advice on how to go about and test which connection on a Apple Xserve RAID caddie does the activity lights in the front of the device. My idea is to replace all the internals in the device minus the backplane and try to figure what contact points can I use from the backplane to replicate the activity lights.

Was wondering if there was a way that I could use a battery and test each of the connectors points of the caddie until the LED light up, or something like that....obviously I have zero knowledge on electronics, but I have the passion to learn.
    Thanks in advance
    I have attached a few pictures of the device with the activity lights working on the caddies, disregard the blue lights on the middle of the device, that would be another mod, of possible; I have also attached a picture of the caddie, side view and back view that connects to the backplane.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      456.7 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      246.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG