1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Modding PSU? Molex connectors, etc.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by sweets, 4 Oct 2007.

1. sweets

sweets What's a Dremel?

Okay,
    So, I've got a non-modular psu that I would like to mod the molex connector and the Sata connector. You know how they daisy chain? Well, I would like to take out the connectors that I don't need.

For instance I only need two of the molex connectors in a daisychain of four. Can't I simply remove the two plastic molex connectors, remove the metal connector pins, and then splice the wires together somehow? Then I could cover the two splices with electric wire and then sleeve everything? If so, could the same be done for the SATA daisychain?

Another question, while I'm at it. Is there a way to remove wires that I don't need. I've got two molex and two SATA daisychains that I really don't need. If I find that I do need them, it'll probably be time to by a new Corsair 620 modular psu.

Any help would be splendid. Thanks.

2. hagatha

hagatha No Guts? No Glory!

Yes you can remove the "extra" molex and SATA "Power" connectors, that you do not need. The correct way to do this would be to solder each connection and cover it with "heatshink" not electrical tape. Be EXTRA sure that you keep your wire colors straight!!!!

To remove "extra" cables completely... yes you can. When you cut them off, leave enough to make a connection again if you need to. You can purchase crimp on caps to cover "shunted" wires... or you can use heatshrink.

Lee