1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Model M keyboards with AT connector

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Picky88, 5 Nov 2011.

1. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

This is pretty obscure, but my dad collects Model M keyboards, and has a few of them with an AT connector. Basically its a big 5 pin connector, and although you can buy adapters from AT to PS/2, the information is transmitted differently, so to use an AT keyboard with a modern PC an active converter is required. Ive seen a website where someone built a converter using a "68HC705J1A" chip but I cannot find any for sale, looks like they were discontinued some time ago. Has anyone built or bought a converter that would work? Many thanks if you can help!

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

AT and PS/2 are the exact same, save the din plug orientation. All you need is an SDL to ps/2 cable to swap for the original at cable, or simply use one of the passive at to ps/2 adapters.
    Active conversion or a controller swap is only needed on XT or terminal keyboards.

3. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Ah I see, yes I believe it is a terminal keyboard, I assumed all terminal keyboards had the larger plug. I was mistaken. I may look into the exact model of the keyboard in more detail.

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Yes it can be quite confusing, as XT and AT share the same din plug, but are entirely different signaling. It can sometimes be hard to identify which it is on some old keyboards.
    It may or may not be worth it to convert if it is a terminal keyboard, as they require quite a lot of work to make usable on a modern computer since replacing the controller with a programmable one is pretty much the only option. The 2 most used for that is the teensy++ and the aikon.