1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moderators?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by jaguarking11, 4 Sep 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It might be an idea to state in the FAQ that there is a max sig length rather than saying "We ask that you keep the size of your signature to be a reasonable length." as this is open to interpretation.

I know that that wouldn't have helped much in this instance, due to the reaction of the ex member, but more for future issues.

2. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

I had no intention of pissing mods off. But if respect is desired it should also be shown. It would be a good idea to imply rules of max signature lengths so there is no discusion about them. I also understand you mods are under strain and sometimes things get anoying.

And for the most part you guys have been doing a realy good job at doing what you do.

Wish you all luck. Have a gr8 day.

3. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Amazing...simply amazing..

I love BT, been here for a while and i truely feel this is one of the few sites that shapes and inspires the modding community.

And people are complaining about sig length. Think about this for a second. Sig length. Know that when you sign up for a forum you must abide by the rules and regulations of said forum. Its for a reason people, not to make your lives difficult. And if you don't like it, move on to some other forum...like most that have their moderators let the place go to crap. Its that simple.

Easiest thing in the world is to comment, hardest thing is to manage.

4. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

1. what warning? this is the first ive seen of this.. and i have been here for well over 2 years now.

2. is it a breach of rules? i didnt know that either!

3. surely its only fair for a mod to send a pm saying they had changed it, it prevents confusion. If my sig suddenly got smaller with no reason.. id extend it again!

5. just because he complained you banned him permanently?

Im sorry but this all seems a bit petty.. and perhaps the power has gone to the mods heads?
    as somebody quoted above, yes this forum costs money, yes it takes a lot of time and effort.. but is it not all worth it? we have (as you said) 20,000 members, and prob the best modders in the world ( :naughty: :lol: :p ) it just seems such a shame to have arguments like this. and especially to loose a long going forum member.

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I dunno why people must have such large sigs, its not hard to keep them small...

6. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

There was / is a sticky thread in GD about sigs.

I think it's common sense that if your sig is shrunk a mod / admin has had a hand in it. I imagine it would be time consuming for mods to pm every single person every time they shrunk a sig.

I don't see why the mods should have to put up abuse, they aren't paid. I agree with the mods, the sig was just a silly length and it was much larger than his original one.

7. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

so surely to prevent this from happenening again.. there should be a character limit? set when your writing a sig. as there is a aviator file limit

8. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

thats an 8 line sig?
    wheres there a difference?

9. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Yeah I agree, the whole "use common sense" rule / concept doesn't seem to be working. A max line / charector size seems to be necessary. :blah:

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

As -H- says: there is a sticky GD which ahs been there for a while.

It should be obvious that if a moderator edits something, you should not change it back to its original state. Anyway ignorance of the rules is no defence.

Read the sticky.

He was abusive to the mods. He then was abusive about the mods on other forums. He then causes some problems on at least one forum I also moderate, requiring other moderators' intervention there.

It is worth it, as long as we manage to keep it a pleasant place for everyone. We did not start the argument; we were not the ones who took it into the realms of childish bickering and insults.

I'm not sure why people keep going on about this. This is not about some power struggle of the oppressed masses vs. powermad moderators or anything. This is not about power, or politics, or some deep moral issue about individuality vs. conformism or good vs. evil. This is just a forum, ferchrissakes. All we ask is for people to respect a few little house rules (which are there for a good reason) and to be reasonable. I'm not sure why that is so difficult for some people to do that. But remember that when you signed up, you were presented with the rules, and you clicked the "I Agree" button. That's right. You agreed to the rules, in exchange for the privilige (because that is what it is, guys, a privilige, not a right, not an entitlement) to post here. And you should always know what you agree to. If you decide that you don't like the rules, or find them unacceptable, that's perfectly fine. It's a free world, and all that. But in that case, just leave, OK? Excercise your choice and just walk away (btw not you personally, funkymunky, I'm just speaking in general).

11. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

such as life, anything which isnt written do
    wn shouldnt be assumed.

you should always know what you agree to. If you decide that you don't like the rules, or find them unacceptable, that's perfectly fine. It's a free world, and all that. But in that case, just leave, OK?

i totally understand the concept of all the rules. But if things arnt written down, and are just assumed then things will get very complex in a situation like this. Yes admititly the person in question was wrong. But what can we do to stop this happening again?

12. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

i myself am unable to do anything simply because i dont have any power or authority over the matter. However you guys do, and i just feel that instead of arguing against each other. We should be working together to make this forum a better place.

agreed??

13. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

I really love the way you guys bunch around someone who's banned, that you don't know from Jack because you all think you can have a go us moderators, maybe we won't bother to clean up next time someone complains about a spammer, or if you're been flamed.

Fact of the matter is, all you guys see on Bit-Tech is the "Front of House" us guys who also service the "Back of house" see much more, and you should find comfort in the fact that ANY moderator decision such as this one is discussed in detail in the moderators lounge and is then cleared & approved by other moderators so that no single moderator can cause havoc.

Please, just show a little common sense with regards to signatures!

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

Merely just backing Nexxo's words up here.

I have recieved a lot of uncalled abuse over this situation for merely defending my moderators decision on this matter - after seeing some of his responses on other forums, I'm glad that Rich came to the decision to permenantly ban him. He just looks like more trouble than he's actually worth and we would be highly likely to cross his path again in the future.

As Kna has said before, this is our house, we pay for the servers, we run the place, we make the rules and therefore we have the right to decide who we want to be on our forums. It's a priviledge - we don't charge you to view our forums and we ask that you obey a few simple, and completely reasonable rules. Why is it that when someone is banned, everyone joins in and says we're a bunch of nazi's moderating the joint? Don't forget - this is our house, so don't piss on the carpet or we're likely to piss all over you from a great height.

15. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Am I the only one who thinks:

Its only a sig... get over it.

16. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

lol exactly...

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

yes, he should have got over the fact that it was reduced for a reason....

18. finboz

finboz What's a Dremel?

all im seeing is blah blah blah who cares

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

thanks, your comment will be taken on board.

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

This thread has served its purpose now, and as such it is now closed.

Any problems, or if you want to flame me, my email address is on the team page. ;)

Last edited: 5 Sep 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.