1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Molyneux: Facebook is changing PC gaming

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Mar 2010.

1. asphinx

asphinx What's a Dremel?

Actually, interestingly enough our definitions of gamers seems to be very equally matched. With the exception that I would probably be more likely to ask someone what they enjoy doing, rather than using the word hobby. But the point being, we have very similar if not identical definitions of what constitutes as a gamer. I'm especially fond of your "you need a sustained interest and passion" -wording.

I still say and think that people should be entitled to their own definitions of what constitutes a gamer, despite the fact that I myself might not always agree with their definition. The world, this community and a lot of people already have their own definitions anyway and as such people will judged according to the, can I call it "objective opinion", suggesting "according to a majority". I always hope that people would realize that there's both, and that they might be different.

Your practical example is a good one. But if I may add to it? Regarding yourself a software developer, having written a few macros (or something equally trivial). Would you apply for a position, where it is obvious that your definition and that of the general public is vastly different?

As for calling me egalitarian, I'll take that as a well intended compliment and hope it was meant as such.

2. |:-)

|:-) What's a Dremel?

Some very interesting philosophical debates going on here about the deeper meaning of what it is to be considered a gamer, both in your own mind and in other people's opinions. So I couldn't resist adding my bit.....and some, sorry bout that!

I believe anything designed to be fun & entertaining (no matter how short lived or long lasted) and has some degree of challenge built into it (no matter how simple or complex) and requires the player to interact with something or someone, can be described as a game. Therefore by default someone who enjoys this type of activity could be described as a person who likes playing games.

Of course this could apply to anything, like they could be into hopscotch, cricket, chess or football.

So if you were someone who liked to play a game of cricket every other Sunday with the local team during the summer and watched all the big test when they were on TV, would you describe yourself as a cricketer? No you'd probably just say I like cricket and only if you'd ever made it professionally as a cricketer and earned a living from it would you then start calling yourself a cricketer.

So when it comes to computer games, if someone likes playing games that are based on a computer, whats the problem with calling them a gamer?
    Well If we go by the above (and many other) real life examples of when you can say your a "something-er" most "gamers" don't have any right to call themselves gamers at all, I mean hands up how many of you get paid to play games? I'm guessing not many, so really the majority of us (including FB enthusiasts), are just people who like playing computer games, its just some of us are a little more dedicated/addicted to playing computer games than others.

For those that believe FB games will live a short lived life, I think your very much mistaken, they have their place probably for more than just a few good reasons. Two very good reasons that spring to my mind are...

1. Not everyone has access to a decent gaming rig, either due to financial constraints or other more pressing priorities in life. Hence why online FB/Zynga style games become an easy way to kill some time and get some (limited) enjoyment, with an Eee or a very basic laptop/netbook or home PC etc...

2. Initially the game play is FREE (in monetary terms) and you can continue to play for an indefinite period of time without spending a single dollar

Plus the comment made by someone above saying that FB people dont have a life and cant understand why they dont just go down the pub and talk to their friends there, is not just a little like the kettle calling the pot black! Its also pretty ignorant, as a lot of people who have lived very well traveled and colourful lives tend to have friends a little further a field than down the local pub! Like other countries in the REAL world that we inhabit, so FB is a good way to keep in touch with what good old friends from the other side of the world may be up to.

Anyway, as it happens I hate FB games because I play them...yeah how stupid is that, I waste my time killing 5 mins here and there on them, almost every day. I've never parted with a single dollar but I've lost precious hours on something very pointless that has no end to it, no winner or loser and no plot. I have also spent countless hours of my time (at an earlier point in my life), playing proper computer games, both PC, PS and Xbox and these have brought me great satisfaction in the past.

So I think it would be fair to say that I have experienced most forms of computer gaming and they all can be described as games, its just that PC & console gaming (as opposed to FB gaming) requires a little more dedication, time, commitment and $$$, for a much greater return in overall satisfaction and enjoyment. It just happens that I for one dont currently have the dedication, time, commitment or spare $$$.

Do I call myself a gamer? No definitely not.....but I do love games!

Tags: Add Tags