1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Momentary to ON/OFF for dummies please

Discussion in 'Modding' started by THEkorean, 23 Feb 2008.

1. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

Title says it all, I used the search and found some pretty good info at http://www.cpemma.co.uk/flipflop.html
    I want to make the discrete flip flop because that is supposed to be the easiest. However, I have NO IDEA wth I'm supposed to do. Do you think I can just go to my local Radio Shack and ask the guys there to help me build the circuit? Or can someone explain to be EXACTLY (like seriously each and every step) what im supposed to do? otherwise Im going to spend more than I have to on parts and go through many.. many... many.. hours of trial and error so that I can get something that remotely resembles the thing.

Links to a video would be hella sweet...

Also what other "tools" do I need to build a circuit, I only have a soldering iron, multi-meter (which I still ahve no idea how to use), and solder (rosin core).
    Do I need Flux, break board, etc?

Sorry if my question seems sophomoric , but I really don't know anything about electronics past Highschool physics (even then, we never built circuits using more than just resistors and light bulbs[yes, lightbulbs no LEDs])

Any help would be awesome

2. Gumbatron

Gumbatron What's a Dremel?

A soldering iron will be the main tool that you'll need. You wont need flux, since you have rosen cored solder (has the flux built in so to speak). For more delicate work like making small circuits I like to use fairly fine solder. The only other tools you will need are wire strippers, a small pair of wire cutters (side cutters) for trimming off component legs and some way to cut the tracks in the strip board that you will use, a dremel would be good here.

To get all the parts you need. The best thing to do would be to print out the instructions on cpemma's site and take them to your local elecronics components store (eg: Radio Shack). The guys there should be able to help you find all the components that you will need. Don't let the fact that you don't yet know anything about electronics stop you. If you have a go, then you will probably learn a little about it :D.

Best of luck:thumb:

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

As far as I know, Radio Shack don't sell stripboard, they have a project board where you have to make the strips yourself with solder or bits of wire. Futurlec sell it (and all the other bits) and even with postage added will be cheaper than RS.

The simplest circuit is the 555 one, and everybody sells them.

4. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

Thank you so much, I've just gotten a little more confident in building this thing.
    I need to be able to change 4 MOM switches and they all need to be independent, does that mean I have to build 4 circuits?

5. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

If you follow cpemma's 555 link and scroll to the top it shows a duel flip flop circuit using 1 IC.
    Although building 2 of those wouldn't be much different to building 4 555 circuits I don't think. :)

6. ROB 636

ROB 636 Ski-Ba-Bop-Ba-Dop-Bop

Whats the difference between the circuit and just using a on off push button or a switch?

Last edited: 25 Feb 2008